Authors: Kyle Grabowski

It took the CSU lacrosse team more than 10 minutes to get on the scoreboard against UC-Santa Barbara, but once the goals started, they just didn’t stop in an 11-3 win for the Rams.

“This is a good team that likes to settle the ball down,” CSU attacker Austin Fisher said. “We had to get the ball back to give our ‘D’ a little break and wear them down from there.”

The win improved CSU’s record to 10-1 on the season and dealt the Gauchos their first loss this year.

Junior midfielder Greyson Konkel opened the scoring for CSU at 4:19, and the Rams netted four more before halftime to take a 5-0 lead.

Fisher scored twice in the second quarter and assisted on another goal in CSU’s 4-0 run to end the first half. He finished with three goals and two assists in the game to push his team-leading point total to 45 for the season.

“The stat I’m looking more at with him is turnovers. When he takes care of the ball it helps our offense be more patient, and when he forces it we get a little scattered,” CSU coach Alex Smith said. “Today he took care of the ball really great. I’m not even looking at his points because he’s going to get a lot of points.”

UCSB scored first in the second half to climb within four goals, but CSU scored three of the next four goals to extend its lead to 9-3 at the start of the fourth quarter.

“We’ve been up at halftime, and even in the blowout wins we’ve let the team back in it,” Smith said. “Today we owned that third quarter, and I thought the game was over by the time the fourth came around.”

CSU’s defense controlled the UCSB attack all night, allowing goalie Jack Regan to dominate the front of the net.

“The ball wasn’t moving as well as it normally does for us, and we didn’t take advantage of some of the looks we had,” UCSB coach Mike Allan said. “When we did have good looks the goalie made saves. It was just one of those nights.”

UCSB was the highest ranked opponent the Rams have defeated all season after they lost to then-No. 4 and current No. 1 Cal-Poly.

CSU next plays No. 4 BYU in the Hall of Fame game at Shea Stadium in Highlands Ranch.

Men’s lacrosse Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.