Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

This week, the United States Supreme Court heard oral arguments on the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act, or President Barack Obama’s health care reform bill. As a result, constitutional law enthusiasts have spent the last three days trying to “read the tea leaves,” so to say, as to what the Court’s decision will be.

While most college students aren’t jumping at the chance to follow the stuffy proceedings of our country’s judicial branch, and voting may not take for a few months, this court decision will cause ripples far beyond health care, and it’s important for college students to stay informed.

In fact, experts say that this decision could prove to be extremely important to the end of the 2012 presidential race. Should the health care bill be ruled unconstitutional, it could prove to be a driving force behind Obama’s bid for reelection.

Why, you ask? Well, because the Republican nominee (presumably Romney) wouldn’t be able campaign on a platform against Obamacare. And this is only one possible political strategy that could be explored depending on the outcome of the case.

Students must have an understanding of the factors that will be at play during this year’s election season, and it’s starting to look early on that this will surely be a contested point.

Even if you couldn’t care less about the whole election thing, you kind of have to be aware of what’s happening your health care. So keep an eye on what’s happening in the U.S. Supreme Court, because there are nine old people who hold the future of health care and a big piece of the presidential election in their hands.