CSU softball runs over UNC

Authors: Andrew Schaller

On two consecutive pitches in the third inning against Northern Colorado Wednesday, CSU’s Shae Rodriguez and Emily Pohl smacked back-to-back solo homeruns, getting the offense rolling in what would become an 8-0 Rams win.

“We were right there in the beginning even though we weren’t scoring,” Pohl said. “We felt good and we just said ‘Keep doing what we’re doing and they’re gonna fall in,’ so that’s what we did.”

Following the two homers, Chelsea Biglow hit a two-run homerun giving the Rams a four-run lead they could build upon later in the game.

A two-run double by Chelsea Bigelow in the fourth inning and an RBI single by Kendal Butterfield in the fifth secured the 8-run mercy rule win for the Rams after five innings.

“You saw good production all the way through the order, which is something that we’ve really been proud of,” CSU coach Jen Fisher said. “Our bottom of the order has really been coming through for us, (and) the heart of the order was obviously really solid today.”

The eight-run lead was preserved for the Rams by current co-Mountain West Player of the Week, Kacie McCarthy, who pitched a complete game shutout while allowing only two hits and striking out four.

“She’s been a truly consistent, confident, one-track mind pitcher,” Fisher said. “She comes out with her guns firing every game, every single game, and it’s just wonderful to be able to count on her like that.”

The victory pushes McCarthy’s record to 11-5 on the year and gives her a second complete game shutout in the last week, and her third start without giving up an earned run in the same span.

The dominating pitching performances have been due in part to having confidence, according to McCarthy.

“If I go out there and do my job, (your teammates are) going to do the same,” she said. “That’s all you can do is just really have faith in them and have faith in yourself.”

The game Wednesday marked only the sixth home game for the Rams on the year out of their first 35 contests.

The Rams will now travel down I-25 for a rematch with Northern Colorado in Greeley next Wednesday.

CSU will focus on continuing their hot hitting in the next two games against Northern Colorado in preparation for the beginning of its conference season, which starts April 14.

“What you see in baseball and softball sometimes is a couple people get hot and a couple people get cold,” Fisher said. “So that’s what we’ve really been working with them on is taking that same consistent approach all the time—that’s success, not the outcome.”

Softball Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Result: CSU: 8 Northern Colorado: 0 F/5
Up Next: Northern Colorado
When: Wed. April 4
Where: Greeley, Colo.