Authors: Colleen Canty

Not only can John Dietrick tell you all about his plans for student financial optimization, but he can also do it with a hamburger in one hand and a Frisbee in the other.

On a windless and warm Sunday afternoon, junior ASCSU presidential hopeful Dietrick and sophomore ASCSU vice presidential hopeful Max “Moose” Muller congregated with friends on the greens of City Park to grill some meat, slap some volleyballs and talk politics.

Although the two young men currently campaigning for student government’s coveted positions can babble for hours about their plans to cut taxes on text books, optimize benefits for every student dollar and move club sports to Hughes Stadium, they value and prioritize their role as, well, a couple of college boys.

They have the Greek life tanks and sunglass tans to prove it, too.

“Work is for Monday to Friday, and family, friends and self are for the weekend,” Dietrick said, taking a bite of his hamburger and flipping his hat around to face backward on his head. “In my role at ASCSU, I take things very seriously, but we’re just students like everyone else –– I like to kick back with a few brews and enjoy life in the CSU community.”

In fact, Muller and Dietrick are all about community. Both men’s considerable activity in fraternities, Muller’s former jobs working around campus and Dietrick’s vocational calling and desire to fill a role protecting others wedges them into several corners of CSU life –– it’s difficult to navigate the Plaza without spotting their monstrous campaign billboard or vigorously shaking either candidate’s hand.

“I’ve met so many people and shaken so many hands,” said Muller, who does not have previous ASCSU experience, but has worked on campus as an intramural referee and in the dining halls. “You’ll see me every weekend at 7:30 a.m. dressed up for a football game; you’ll see me at most of the basketball games –– John and I are both social, type-A personalities that just mesh well.”

A high school friend of Muller’s from Evergreen, sophomore international relations major Carlye Sayler, knows firsthand of his honed skill of balancing a social and academic life.

“He was always so motivated and excited about our school. I always saw him at school events, he was always on the homecoming court ballot, and I see him at sports games here,” she said. “But he was also very intellectual; he did really well in school, but was one of the most popular kids at the same time.”

If elected, the duo wishes to harness the social connections it has made during their time at CSU to proactively meet with student organizations, fight for every dollar of student fees to optimize financial power and reevaluate which organizations are receiving funding based on how many students the group is actually benefiting.

“Why are we raising fees for organizations that only benefit, say, 5 percent of the student body?” Muller said. “It doesn’t seem necessary. We will fund organizations that affect the most number of students like party partners, club sports, Greek life and veterans.”

Dietrick is also passionate about truly understanding, reaching out to and communicating with the students he wishes to lead next year.

“We want to get the students’ voice heard. I’ll be out on the plaza at least once a month as president shaking hands and expressing how every decision we (Dietrick and Muller) make will affect students directly,” Dietrick said. “You can’t stay in an office from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. and expect to know what they want.”

While the tedious and lengthy campaign trail begs early mornings, long hours and often times undesirable sunburns, Dietrick and Muller wish to stress their “average student” perspective in the upcoming election.

They will always prioritize their identity as Rams before any long-winded job titles.

“I’m a doodler in class. And if there were no women left on this Earth, I’d marry football,” Dietrick said, waving to some friends tossing a football nearby at the park.

Muller elaborated, “We love the school, we love the people, and we love to have a good time.”

Collegian writer Colleen Canty can be reached at news@collegian.com.