Authors: Chance Johnson

I grappled with writing about something that could be considered old news by now. Since I submit my column to the Collegian every other week, I missed the opportunity to discuss Rush Limbaugh’s comments about Georgetown University student and hysterical drama queen, Sandra Fluke.

Limbaugh labeled her as a “slut” because she put an excessively high dollar amount on what she considered birth control needs for women. Although this issue could be considered “old news,” it still needs to be brought up because loose ends have been left untied.

Fluke dodged a huge bullet. The heat was taken off her as soon as Limbaugh made his remarks. This was extremely fortunate for the student, who was making an absurd argument. In front of Democratic Members of Congress, Fluke steadfastly stated that for her and her fellow Georgetown classmates, birth control costs up to $3,000 over three years.

These costs, according to Fluke, need to be covered by religious institutions to avoid financial hardships of its students. Since I am limited in the amount of space I can write, I will not go into the numerous fallacies of her argument. I will not insult the intelligence of the reader of the Collegian.

Instead, it should be brought up that her idiotic statements conveniently slipped under the radar as soon as Limbaugh said she was a prostitute for wanting to get paid for having sex. You can’t even Google “Sandra Fluke” without Limbaugh taking up the first page of results. The controversy should be about her claims, not about what some jackass like Limbaugh said about her.

Now Fluke’s wreck-less claims are no longer the issue, as she stopped by the henhouse known as “The View,” being touted as some kind of a martyr by fellow feminists. I would be embarrassed if I were a woman. I wouldn’t need her to stand up for me.

Here’s the thing about liberal feminists: They think they are so strong and independent. They want the government out of their bodies, out of their lives…except when they want the government to pay for all of their contraception needs.

Real feminists are truly strong, independent women who can pay for their own contraception or else they abstain. Liberals generally don’t display much willpower though.
Oh well, just more hypocrisy from the left.

For the record, I think Rush Limbaugh is a complete tool. He is nothing more than an apologist for the Republican Party. With that in mind, why are the media and the president not reprimanding pundits, commentators and politicians on the left as fervently as they are on the right?

Do you remember when left-wing radical Bill Maher referred to Sarah Palin as a “c***” and a “dumb twat?” Probably not, because it was barely covered in the media, even still. Recently, Maher defended himself while condemning Limbaugh making the argument of “context.”

ABC’s Jake Tapper asked Maher about the comments, to which he replied, “I did it all over the country, not one person ever registered disapproval, and believe me, audiences are not afraid to let you know.” So apparently, as long as your equally disgusting audience laughs at your disrespectful remarks, you are morally in the clear. Once again, you can’t expect too much out of people such as Maher’s audience. They are like seals doing tricks for fish, while Maher is the trainer.

After Limbaugh made his remarks about Fluke, President Obama rode in and defended her, chastising Limbaugh. Just a few weeks prior, CBSnews.com reporter Stephanie Condon reported that the President gladly accepted a $1 million donation from Maher to be applied towards his super PAC. We’re still waiting on Obama to return the $1 million to Maher and condemn him as equally chauvinistic as Limbaugh.

Has anyone ever heard of a hack by the name of Ed Schultz? He has basically made a career out of attacking commentators on the right, with hardly any justification. Since he runs a shoddy program, I’ll bet no one ever remembers him calling Laura Ingraham a “right-wing slut.”

I pride myself on not being a defender of conservatives or liberals, but of common sense. Unfortunately, the way the liberal media is covered, common sense is largely absent.

Chance Johnson is a senior journalism major. His column appears every other Monday in the Collegian. He can be reached at letters@collegian.com.