Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

You may think that abortion is an abomination, or you might think that the Bible has no place near your vagina, but you can’t argue that there wasn’t something encouraging about seeing both sides of the abortion debate represented on Saturday in our sleepy little town.

After all, for better or worse, protesters are a common sight outside of Planned Parenthood near the intersection of Elizabeth and Shields streets. And usually, these protesters are fervently pro-life.

That all changed this weekend, when for the first time in our recent memory, the generally older people protesting abortion were joined by a vibrant, younger crowd of college students offering up a counter-protest.

Regardless of where you stand when it comes to this divisive issue, it’s hard to argue that it isn’t fantastic to see both sides of the issue represented, especially since the pro-life folks seem to perpetually be more vocal, especially in front of our local Planned Parenthood.

And it’s even better to see some of our own peers trying to make their voices heard, rather than watching protests dominated by older, hyper-conservative folks who don’t even live in Fort Collins.

Seeing both sides of the debate standing on Shields on Saturday morning, rather than simply one side, actually made it look like there was a conversation taking place and — shockingly enough — made the whole thing seem a bit more tolerable.

It actually started conversations, and for once, those conversations actually involved both sides of the debate.

We can only hope that seeing some pro-choice representation isn’t a one-time deal.