Weekender Calendar 3/23/12

Authors: Courtney Riley

MUSIC:
Monika Vischer – El Sistema
Rm 218, University Center for the Arts
Friday
11:00 a.m.
Monika Vischer of El Sistema Colorado and Colorado Public Radio is speaking at CSU’s MENC (National Association for Music Education) monthly meeting tonight, discussing the El Sistema movement in Colorado. El Sistema is a program that “enables thousands of students to study music who would not otherwise have the means to do so,” according to the event’s page on colostate.edu.

The Heavy Pets with Twiddle
Hodi’s Half Note
Friday
8 p.m.
$10 in advance, $12 day of show, $3 under 21
“The Heavy Pets are an American rock and roll band whose contagious vibe blends rhythm and blues, jazz-funk and reggae fusion with homegrown rock and roll,” according to Hodi’s website. “The Heavy Pets are known for powerhouse performances spiked with hot electric licks and multi-climactic instrumental solos, as well as for their masterful acoustic acumen.” Dan Sweeny of Relix Magazine called the band a “living, breathing force of nature.”

Eligh and Amp Live with Will Da Beast, Mane Rok and Diverge and Ethix
Aggie Theatre
Friday
8 p.m.
$12
Eligh and Amp Live released an album titled “Therapy At 3” last year. More information can be found at elighmusic.com and amplivesworld.com.

The Hot Coal
Avogadro’s Number
Friday
9 p.m.
$5
“The Hot Coal is a supple, young band formed in the dreamy town of Fort Collins,” according to the band’s Facebook page. “Grant (Lowry), Chris (Robbiano), and Eli (Hennessey) started playing together at Grant’s house in the Fall of ’09… The Hot Coal has now added a keys player named Mike Dolan. This new addition creates a more full and funky sound!”

Josh Blackburn
Lucky Joe’s Sidewalk Saloon
Saturday
9 p.m.
According to Lucky Joe’s, Blackburn is a “simply amazing artist.” With experience entertaining on cruise ships and at apres ski bars, Blackburn “plays and sings as well as anyone and puts out a variety of music you want to hear. This guy brings it.”

Tyler T. CD Release Party with Gray Weather
Road 34
Saturday
9 p.m.
$5
“Tyler T. is a singer/songwriter and one-man band who uses multiple instruments from around the world,” according to Road 34’s website. “He plays high energy shows around the country using live loops performing a psychedelic brand of original folk jams. The music has an organic feel with tribal roots with an improvisational spirit.”

THEATER:
‘The Dinner Detective’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday and Saturday
Lounge and bar open at 5:30 p.m.
Check-in begins at 6:15 p.m.
$59
This is the largest interactive murder mystery comedy dinner show in the United States was named the “Best Dinner show” in Los Angeles and Denver. According to the Boulder Daily Camera, “Almost everyone in the room is a suspect… the detectives keep the action lively throughout the dinner!”

‘The Sound of Music’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday, Saturday and Sunday
Evening Performances:
Lounge and Bar open at 5:30 p.m.
Pre-Show begins at 7:15 p.m.
Matinee Performances:
Lounge and Bar opens at 11:30 a.m.
Pre-Show begins at 1:15 p.m.
$49 matinee, $59 evening
“The world’s best-loved musical, “The Sound of Music,” is a lavish and critically-acclaimed production telling the uplifting true story of the Von Trapp family’s flight across the mountains,” according to the Midtown Arts Center’s website. “With its unforgettable score, “The Sound Of Music” touches the hearts of all ages and brims over with some of the most memorable songs ever performed.”

OpenStage Theatre’s ‘Casino Royale: The Sting’
The Lincoln Center
Saturday
7 p.m.
$50 regular, $35 season patron/company/group
“Place your bets with OpenStage Theatre as we transport you back to a time of shifty gangsters, sexy grifters and foxy dames for our third annual gaming fundraiser,” according to the theater’s website. The play is based on the classic 1973 Academy Award winning film, “The Sting.” “Join us for a wild evening of cards, a silent auction, fabulous prizes, and of course, some gambling hall brawls.”

LIFE:
International Cuisine Dining Series – Italy
Kendall Anderson Nutrition Center, 114 Gifford Building
Friday
Noon
$20 per class, $10 for CSU students and employees. Includes recipes, education materials and lunch.
“Italian food is delicious, but some may have more fat and carbohydrates than we’d like,” according to the event’s page on colostate.edu. “Join us as we prepare several traditional lighter dishes, and try our hand at homemade pasta.” Call (970) 491-8615 to register.

Luau Skate Night
EPIC Ice Arena
Friday
5 p.m.
$5 (skate rental included)
The CSU figure skating team is hosting a Beach Boys-inspired fundraiser to raise money for Intercollegiate Nationals. The event will include costume contests, raffles and a dance-off.

ART:
Closing: Telegraph Art Collective
Clara Hatton Gallery, Visual Arts Building
Friday
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Free
Today marks the last day that the Telegraph Art Collective exhibition will be featured at the Visual Arts Building. “The artist collective Telegraph enthusiastically descends upon Colorado State University, creating site-specific work that responds to built and open spaces, as well as the people, the history, the resources and even the detritus of CSU and its vicinity,” according to the event’s page on colostate.edu.

Hawaiian Quilts: God in Expression
Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising, the University Center for the Arts
Friday
11 a.m.
Free
This exhibit features Hawaiian quilts from the Henry and Angela Hite Collection, with Elizabeth Akana as the guest curator. “Originally brought to the islands by New England missionaries, Hawaiian appliqué quilts are unique for their ‘snowflake’ designs,” according to the event’s website. “Imbued with the myths and traditions of the native Hawaiian population and references to the plant life and mythology of the islands, Hawaiian quilts are among the most visually striking of all quilt designs.”

MOVIE:
Lyric Cinema Cafe
Friday
“Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy” 1:30 and 6 p.m.
“Tim and Eric’s Billion Dollar Movie” 10:15 p.m.
“Chico and Rita” 4 and 8:45 p.m.
“Thin Ice” 5 p.m.
“Norwegian Wood” 7:30 p.m.
Saturday
“Chico and Rita” 4 and 8:45 p.m.
“Thin Ice” 5 p.m.
“Norwegian Wood” 2 and 7:30 p.m.