Authors: Sarah Fenton

After four days of hard campaigning, the student government presidential hopefuls will go head-to-head for the first time from 11:45 a.m. to 1 p.m. in a Plaza Debate/Question and Answer session.

Candidates Regina Martel and Joe Eden are pitted against John Dietrick and Peter Muller. Both teams have had prior experience serving in ASCSU. Martel is currently serving as the deputy chief of staff, and her running mate is a College of Liberal Arts Senator. Dietrick has served as an associate justice on the ASCSU Supreme Court.

“The Plaza debate allows students the opportunity to talk with candidates and ask them questions,” said Elections Manager Andrew Ives in an email to the Collegian.

Although candidates have been available to talk to students on the plaza every day since campaigning began, Friday’s debate will be different due to the fact that candidates can respond to one another as well as to students.

“It really offers any student to be able to enter the conversation and hear candidate’s response to questions and to each other,” Ives said.

According to Ives, the question and answer forum will give students an opportunity to discuss key issues in this year’s race.

For both teams, many of those issues include topics like tuition and fees, online test files and the on-campus stadium.

Putting the issues aside, for current ASCSU president Eric Berlinberg, the single most important thing is getting students involved. For him, even taking 10 minutes to talk to candidates is crucial to the entire elections process.

“I strongly encourage all students to take 10 minutes and stop by the campaign tables and speak to the candidates. The individuals you elect truly do affect your experience on campus, and it is important to ask them the tough questions now before you vote. At the end of the day, VOTE! It is important, no matter who you vote for,” said Berlinberg in an email to the Collegian.

ASCSU Beat Reporter Sarah Fenton can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Event Information
What: Plaza Debate and Q&A
When: Friday 11:45 AM to 1 PM

Presidential Tickets
Regina Martel and Joe Eden
Slogan: “Putting students first”
Website: www.votereginaandjoe.com

John Dietrick and Peter Muller
Slogan: “Moving CSU Forward”
Website: www.dietrickmuller.org