Authors: Andrew Carrera

Running for public office can get expensive, and CSU’s student body presidential race is no exception.

The two campaigns were barely announced 11 days ago and have already spent about $2,468 in total to inch closer to attaining the positions that would make them two of the most powerful students at the university.

But as undergraduates, the expenditures are not made easily.

“We definitely don’t have a lot of money. We’re students. We’re trying to pay our student fees, we’re trying to pay our tuition, just like everybody else,” said Regina Martel, a candidate for the Associated Students of CSU presidency who currently serving as the organization’s deputy chief of staff.

Martel and her vice-presidential running mate, Joe Eden, a three-year veteran of the ASCSU Senate, have shelled out an estimated $1,134.74, according to their latest election finance report. Student government campaign guidelines mandate that each ticket maintains a $2,000 spending limit –– a figure they’d like to stay far away from considering voting is still 10 days away, from April 2 to 5.

“That’s why we’re staying so close to $1,200 right now,” Martel said. “We have a few marketing ideas that we’re thinking about rolling out in the second week.”

John Dietrick, who’s also running for student body president, has spent about $1,334.97.

“Over 50 percent of our expenses so far are t-shirts,” said the current ASCSU Associate Supreme Court Justice. “We really think, since we want to be a people campaign … we want to see the student body out there with our t-shirts on and see them out there.”

Dietrick and his vice-presidential running mate, Peter Muller, who’s worked in CSU’s dining services and as a referee, say the $665.03 they’re now allowed to spend is enough to carry them to the three-day voting period.

“We were thinking that we were going to be right around $1,300 to $1,400 at this point in time after all of our biggest expenses,” Dietrick said.

The Dietrick-Muller campaign ran into a minor misunderstanding with the ASCSU Elections Committee Monday. The oversight group saw Dietrick-Muller supporters pass out candy on the Lory Student Center Plaza, which can only be done after being granted permission by the university’s Dining Services and making the committee aware of the approval.

The campaign had acquired the necessary authorization –– student government officials just didn’t know it.

“There was just that miscommunication if they needed to provide me with the paperwork,” said Andrew Ives, chair of the ASCSU elections committee.

No penalties were assigned to Dietrick and Muller. The maximum fine for a campaign violation of that nature is $20.

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collgian.com.