Authors: Emily Smith

CSU’s figure skating team is “hula-ing” their way to the national championships.

As a fundraiser for costs associated with nationals, the team will host a “Luau Skate Night” at EPIC Ice Arena Saturday from 5 to 6:30 p.m.

“Every semester we try to host a fun community night to raise awareness about our team,” said Vickie Stone, the team’s financial officer. “I hope that people can come out and see how hard we work to represent CSU and Fort Collins in the figure skating world.”

On Feb. 12 the figure skaters –– a club sport at CSU –– placed third in their final competition of the season at Denver University. This, plus previous placements, qualified them to compete at the National Intercollegiate Championships April 21 to 22 in Colorado Springs.

“We are definitely the underdog team of the pacific region,” said Molly Parsons, vice president of the team. “However, I have watched this team continually overcome every obstacle that is put in their way, and I know we will stand strong in this new challenge.”

According to Parsons, this is the first time the CSU team has ever qualified for nationals, and they hope to place eighth or higher.

“We jokingly refer to our team as the little engine that could,” Parsons said. “Because time after time our little family of skaters has worked harder and harder until we have achieved our goals.”

Stone said she looked forward to meeting skaters from around the country, seeing new programs and having new competition.

“I think as a team we are most looking forward to getting our name out there on a national level and to be recognized as a ranking team by CSU,” Stone said.

CSU will be competing against teams such as Denver University, University of California-Berkley, Dartmouth College, Boston University and University of Michigan, according to Parsons.

Coach Pamela Kurtz said the luau night will be an opportunity for students to try ice skating and get some help from the skaters, as well as help the team raise money and awareness.

“Because we have to pay quite a bit for ice time, we need enough participants to cover the cost of the ice time,” Kurtz said. “Plus more to raise some funds for the team.”

In past years the team has hosted holiday, ‘80s, and Halloween skate nights. Parsons said this year’s luau night will be “goofy and utterly fun.”

“There will be a costume contest, raffles and a dance-off,” Parsons said. “So come ready to hula!”

Collegian writer Emily Smith can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Event Info
-Luau Skate Night
-Saturday, 5 to 6:30 p.m.
EPIC Ice Arena, 1801 Riverside Ave.
-$5 including skate rental
-skating, refreshments, raffle, dance-off, costume contest