Authors: Bailey Constas

For some, the end of spring break puts them in a foul mood, but for the music junkies, it only means one week closer to summer music festivals. Sunday’s conclusion of the music portion of South by Southwest, acted as a kickoff to the season of music festivals, where in the coming months concerts will be held across the country and here in Fort Collins.

In early April, the first of these local music festivals, Fort Collins Music Experiment, will bring two nights of more than 300 bands at 30 different music venues.

This will be the fourth year for FoCoMX, put on by Fort Collins Musicians Association, a non-profit organization that gives networking and support to local music.

William Jeffries will be playing at FoCoMX, which takes place on April 13 and 14, with local band House Buffalo, in which he plays guitar.

Jeffries played at the festival last year as well.

“We loved playing the show so we reserved this year as well,” Jeffries said. “It gives the people of Fort Collins an opportunity to hear new music, and it gives bands the opportunity to play among larger and more supportive crowds.”

The price is $15 until it raises to $20 on April 1, but if that expense is too much for you, there are volunteer opportunities that grant free admission.

Jeffries added that FoCoMX, along with Fort Collins’ other local festival Bohemian Nights at NewWestFest, are important to the community.

Nathan Bush, a freshman business administration major, will be attending NewWestFest on August 10, 11 and 12 in downtown Fort Collins. This is the 24th year for the free festival, which this year includes more than 250 booths, a children’s carnival, beer gardens and eight stages with 80 bands.

“It’s important because it’s kind of a tradition for me growing up in FoCo. New bands every year,” Bush said. “I go every year, so yeah that’s kind of what makes me want to go. It’s a local tradition. If you live here, you go to NewWestFest.”

Students are also traveling outside of the city and preparing for the series of concerts at Red Rocks this summer including The Fray, Global Dub Festival, The Shins, Bon Iver, Foster The People, Justice and Passion Pit, and many more.

Max McCall, an undeclared freshman, will be going to String Cheese Incident at Red Rocks Amphitheater for three days on July 5, 6 and 7.

“It’s a whole different culture,” McCall said of events like these.

Some students will be traveling out of the state for some of the bigger, nationally famous music festivals.

Caitlin Hernandez, a freshman psychology major, will be going to Bonnaroo in Manchester, Tenn. — a little deeper into the country — for her first music festival.

“Music is super important to me and I love seeing live performances. It’s epic to see someone do what they love,” Hernandez said.

She’s planning on paying for her tickets on her own and is looking forward to “Jammin out in the sun all day.”

Lauren Morrison, a freshman zoology major, went to Wicker Park Festival and Lollapalooza in Chicago last year.

Morrison will be “Phishin in the Midwest,” going to Wakarusa and trying to sneak into Summer Camp this year.

“The line-up for each festival is what makes me want to go,” Morrison said. “I really enjoy all different types of music and I feel that the festivals I go to have a really well-rounded lineup with lots of different types of music. Also, I just love Phish, so I try to see them as much as I can.”

She’s working at home as well as here in Fort Collins to afford the festivals. Her friend gave her the Wakarusa ticket for her birthday.

“Music is just such a beautiful thing, especially festivals,” Morrison said. “It just brings people together and allows people to sort of let go from society and enjoy themselves within a smaller community. A festival is a completely different world.”

Collegian writer Bailey Constas can be reached at news@collegian.com.