Authors: Sarah Fenton

The Associated Students of CSU Elections Committee has announced that two certified presidential tickets will campaign in the 2012 ASCSU election, a decrease from four in 2011.

The tickets include presidential candidate Regina Martel and running mate Joe Eden as well as opponent John Dietrick with running mate Peter Muller.

While there are only two tickets on the ballot, ASCSU Elections Manager Andrew Ives said the campaign process won’t be negatively impacted.

“Compared to previous years, the turnout isn’t anything out of the ordinary,” Ives said in an email to the Collegian. “Last year we had four president/vice president tickets. The year before that we only had two on the ballot. So this year is similar to what we’ve seen in the past.”

Each team reportedly met the eligibility requirements mandating that all four students had completed 60 credits with a minimum 2.25 GPA.

Martel, a junior political science major, is currently ASCSU’s deputy chief of staff. Eden, also a junior political science major, has served as a senator for the College of Liberal Arts and on the Student Fee Review Board. Currently, Eden is the chair of the senate’s committee on internal affairs.

“Joe and I decided to campaign because we are passionate about the student voice. We will work hard to establish stronger student representation on issues regarding student fees, resources, and all aspects of student life,” Martel said in an e-mail to the Collegian.

Dietrick is a junior sociology major and an associate justice on the ASCSU Supreme Court, as well as a member of Sigma Phi Epsilon. Muller is a sophomore business major.

“We felt that we had the ambition and determination to move CSU forward in a positive direction that is beneficial to all students, thus optimizing their college experience,” said Dietrick in an e-mail to the Collegian in regards to his reason for running.

By current ASCSU president Eric Berlinberg’s estimation, the next two weeks will be busy ones for each team. Although he refrained from commenting on each team in particular, he did offer the following advice.

“My typical advice to candidates is to always be true to the students,” Berlinberg said. “Be genuine during the campaign.”

Berlinberg concluded by explaining that in his opinion the next two weeks would be “the best” weeks of their lives and that above all else they should all “enjoy the ride.”

In addition, according to the campaigning schedule sent out by Ives, candidates will hit the ground running early Monday morning when the official campaigning begins.

In all there will be three formal debates over the next 17-day campaign period after which the voting period will begin on April 2 and end on April 4.

In addition to the presidential tickets, there are nine senator tickets, each of whom met the eligibility requirements.

While nobody can predict what the future holds for Martel and Dietrick, Ives believes the race is sure to be an exciting one.

“All in all, we are excited for the campaigning to begin,” he said.

ASCSU Beat Reporter Sarah Fenton can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Past ASCSU Presidential Elections:
2005: Two candidates
2006: Two candidates
2007: Two candidates
2008: Two candidates
2009: Four candidates
2010: Three candidates (only two on the final ballot)
2011: Four candidates

Senate candidates:
Hannah Wielbelhaus Agriculture
Robert Duran Applied Human Sciences
Haohang Wang Graduate School
Cameron Doelling Intra-University
Matt Dotson Liberal Arts
Jack Harries Liberal Arts
Ariel Mikolitch Liberal Arts
Kate Rentschlar Warner College
Jamie Ragusa Warner College