Authors: Courtney Riley

MUSIC:
Cowtown
Friday
Avogadro’s Number
8:30 p.m.
$7
“Cowtown is an acoustic collaboration of Ron and Julie Lynam,Bob Montgomery and Russ Larson,” according to the band’s website. “Their music is a unique blend of bluegrass, country, folk, Cajun and swing featuring a wide variety of acoustic instruments including guitar, banjo, accordion, dobro, fiddle, mandolin and acoustic bass, along with the vocals of Ron, Julie and Russ (and sometimes Bob).”

Paper Bird with Bad Weather California
Saturday
Aggie Theatre
8 p.m.
$10
“Paper Bird’s backbone is their songwriting, musicianship and a general allergy to all limitations and trends,” according to the band’s Facebook page. “With eight members and no leader, possibilities are ever unfolding, with fluctuations in style and mood akin to weather patterns.”

AfroMassive with Alive Inside
Sunday
Hodi’s Half Note
8 p.m.
$5 advance, $8 day of
According to Hodi’s website, AfroMassive is the “hottest new experimental fury of afrobeat/funk-inspired and electronically fueled grooves this side of the Mississippi… It’s a collective of like-minded musicians looking to cultivate something uniquely different in our current diverse music scene.”

Byllynsgate Ball
Thursday
The Lyric Cinema Cafe
7:30 p.m.
$4
Byllynsgate Ball is a biweekly music, art and film “spectacular” sponsored by community radio station KRFC, according to the Lyric’s website. The Lyric is always looking for new short films to screen, artist to feature and bands or musicians to perform at their Byllynsgate Balls. Anyone interested in getting involved can email the Lyric at byllynsgateball@gmail.com.

Schism: A Tribute to TOOL with Pretty Noise
Friday 3/16
Hodi’s Half Note
8 p.m.
$8 advance, $10 day of $3 under 21
“Not many cover or tribute bands out there ever attempt to engage in the raw talent, mysticism, and magic that is TOOL,” according to Hodi’s website.
“We started this back in 2001, after seeing a TOOL show at Madison Square Garden,” said Schism guitarist Keith Williams. “We simply loved the music and wanted to share it live with other TOOL minded fans.”

Fort Collins Symphony Presents Masterworks #4: From Across the Pond
Saturday 3/17
Lincoln Center
7:30 p.m.
$15 to $50
This show features music from Great Britain. “The ethereal sounds of the Vaughan-Williams ‘Fantasia on a Theme’ by Thomas Tallis will cover you in a blanket of caressing strings,” according to the Lincoln Center’s website. “Then Britten’s ‘Serenade for Tenor, Horn and Strings’ cannot be surpassed for its sheer beauty. Tenor, Todd Queen, and our own Jason Johnston on horn, exemplify our high caliber of local talent. Finally, the Enigma Variations by Edward Elgar will hold you spellbound.”

THEATER:
‘Othello’
The Lincoln Center
Friday and Saturday
8 p.m.
$14 tonight for FAB Friday, $16 to $27 Saturday
“In his thrilling story of ‘Othello,’ the noble Moor who loved not wisely but too well, Shakespeare creates a tragedy of a love destroyed by jealousy,” according to the Openstage Theatre and Company. “In his most intimate tragedy, Shakespeare constructs a highly charged tale of prejudice, revenge and the destruction of innocence.” The show, put on by the Openstage Theatre, is playing at the Lincoln Center through March 18.

‘Avenue Q’
Midtown Arts Center
Friday and Saturday: lounge and bar opens at 5:30 p.m., dinner seating at 6 p.m. Discounted Sunday matinee: lounge and bar opens at 11:30 a.m., dinner seating begins at noon
$49-$59
This Tony Award winner tells the story, using both people and puppets, of Princeton, a recent college grad who moves to an apartment in New York. According to Variety magazine, “Of all the musicals hatched in the post-2000 age of irony, Avenue Q has remained the freshest and funniest.” The show runs through March 17.

Opening night of ‘Oklahoma!’
Saturday 3/17
Candlelight Dinner Playhouse
Lobby opens 5:30 p.m., dinner seating from 6 to 6:30 p.m. and showtime at 7:30 p.m.
$29.50-$57.50
This classic musical is set in a Western Indian territory, which “provides the colorful background against which Curly, a handsome cowboy and Laurey, a winsome farm girl, play out their love story,” according to the playhouse’s website. “That they will succeed in making a new life together we have no doubt and that this new life will begin in a brand-new state provides the ultimate climax to the triumphant, Oklahoma!”

ART:
Hawaiian Quilts: God in Expression
Avenir Museum of Design and Merchandising, the University Center for the Arts
Friday
11 a.m.
Free
This exhibit features Hawaiian quilts from the Henry and Angela Hite Collection, with Elizabeth Akana as the guest curator. “Originally brought to the islands by New England missionaries, Hawaiian appliqué quilts are unique for their ‘snowflake’ designs,” according to the event’s website. “Imbued with the myths and traditions of the native Hawaiian population and references to the plant life and mythology of the islands, Hawaiian quilts are among the most visually striking of all quilt designs.”

Chihuly Venetians: From the George R. Stoemple Collection PHOTO
Fort Collins Museum of Art
Friday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 3/16
10 a.m.
$8 adults, $6 students/seniors
According to the event’s website, “this exhibit will showcase over 45 works from Chihuly’s most innovative and unusual series that was inspired by Art Deco Venetian art glass from the 1920’s and 1930’s.” The main attraction of the exhibit is the “Laguna Murano Chandelier,” a five-piece structure made of 1,500 separate pieces of glass. Two pieces of the chandelier hang from the ceiling and three come up from the floor. This exhibit ends on March 16.

LIFE:
Swingin’ Mondays
Monday
Masonic Temple Center
7:30 p.m.
$4
Dance the Lindy Hop, Jitterbug/East Coast Swing, Charleston, Balboa, Shag, Boogie Woogie and more to music from the 1920s to the 1950s at the Masonic Temple Center.

Salsa Dancing
Tuesday
The Rio Grande Mexican Restaurant
Lessons at 7:30 p.m., dancing from 8 to 10 p.m.
$3 classes
Salsa dance your night away at the Rio while sipping on the restaurant’s famed margaritas.