Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Without an invite to the NFL Scouting Combine or any college all-star games, Wednesday’s pro day was the only chance for CSU football players to impress NFL scouts before April’s draft.

Representatives from the Green Bay Packers, Kansas City Chiefs, Buffalo Bills, Tennessee Titans, Denver Broncos, Houston Texans, San Francisco 49ers and Oakland Raiders put former CSU players through a battery of physical drills to determine their prospects for an NFL career.

“The whole process is you get the opportunity to showcase, in a testing situation, how you played in the fall,” CSU strength and conditioning coach Mike Kent said. “It gives them the opportunity to come back on campus and show how good they are.”

Players were measured for height, weight and body sizes, then performed the vertical jump and bench press tests in the weight room before moving to the indoor practice facility for agility drills.

“Things like this can make the comparison a little easier,” Jon Salge, college scout for the Tennessee Titans said. “It’s not a foolproof formula, but it’s the best thing that we have and it helps them.”

Linebacker Mychal Sisson stood to gain the most from his pro day after only appearing in five games during his senior season.

“The main worry with a lot of scouts was ‘is my ankle good enough for me to go into an OTA or a camp,’ and I showed them it was good to go,” Sisson said.

Sisson had been working out in Phoenix, Ariz. preparing prior to the pro day, and that training paid off as he ran a (time) in the cone shuttle drill, which measures how players can cut laterally.

Most of the pro day scout’s attention, however, fell on running back Raymond Carter. Carter was one of the top all purpose running backs in the country coming out of high school, and transferred to CSU after one year at UCLA.

“I showed my strength well on the bench with 26 reps, which is where I wanted to hit,” he said, “and I ran a fast 40, guys wanted to see me run a fast 40.”

Carter spoke privately with representatives from the Tennessee Titans and San Francisco 49ers after workouts, but none of the parties involved would comment on the discussions.

Overall, 13 players worked out at the pro day; nine CSU seniors and four other players were invited to the event.

“These kids helped themselves today,” Salge said. “It’s hugely valuable for us as scouts and for these kids, if a kid comes out that we thought would run a 4.6 (40 yard dash) and runs a 4.4, he may have just found himself a camp.”

Sports Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

By the Numbers

Raymond Carter
40 yard dash: 4.47 seconds
Bench Press: 26 reps of 225 lbs
Broad Jump: 9 feet 10 inches

Mychal Sisson
40 yard dash: 5.02 seconds
Bench Pres: 16 reps of 225 lbs
Broad Jump: 7 feet 10 inches