Authors: Kevin Lytle

The CSU women’s basketball team saw its season come to an early close when the No. 3 seed Rams lost 68-63 to the Boise State, the No. 6 seed.

CSU held a 34-32 lead at the half and were able to keep Boise State off the board early in the second half.

But the Rams simply could not make shots in the second half. At one point CSU was 4-19 in the second half.

“I thought their pressure was very strong,” CSU coach Kristen Holt said. “You know, my team has had really a problem at times of getting frantic. I think a lot of that is due to the fact that we just have really one penetrator on our team, and she’s a freshman point guard.”

Numerous times the Rams had players in good positions in the paint, but they could not finish.

One particular possession highlighted the missed chances. CSU, up 42-41, had four consecutive shots from inside the lane, missing all of them.

Boise State then took the lead with a basket in transition.

The lead then grew to seven and it looked like CSU was done.

But some defensive stops and a jump shot by LeDeyah Forte cut the deficit to three at 66-63 with just over a minute remaining.

The Rams then got a turnover and the ball with a chance to tie, but senior Kim Mestdagh turned the ball over leading to a Boise State layup that virtually sealed the defeat.

CSU dealt with serious foul trouble with both Kelly Hartig and Sam Martin picking up their fourth fouls early in the second half.

The two played only 23 and 26 minutes respectively. With CSU’s two biggest inside presences in foul trouble, Boise State was able to focus on the perimeter and shutting down Mestdagh, who scored only four points in the second half.

“With Sam and Kelly on the bench, it’s hard ‘cause we didn’t have the normal inside threat that we used to have. That was gone. And then they kept pressuring to outside, so it was hard,” Mestdagh said. “They were really physical, too. Meghan kind of had to do it on her own in the paint. All of that makes it a little harder. We were just kind of like out of it. We couldn’t find a way to get back in and get good shots and easy layups.”

Hayley Thompson led the Rams in scoring with 15. She also added 10 rebounds. Boise State was carried by 18 points from Lauren Lenhardt.

The loss ends the Rams’ season with a record of 13-17.

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.