Authors: Kate Simmons

Linda Vrooman, a Fort Collins resident and neighbor to the CSU campus, came to Saturday’s on-campus stadium public forum after reading editorials about the issue and expected to learn more. Instead, she was surprised when asked to share her opposition to the stadium.

“I am strongly opposed to CSU creating a new stadium, especially since we already have one,” Vrooman said.

Saturday’s forum was one of a series of 10 hosted by CSU’s Center for Public Deliberation (CPD), which aims to gather public input regarding the proposal to build an on-campus stadium.

The forums encouraged students, community members, faculty and alumni to come and share their ideas, concerns, hopes and apprehensions about the proposal.

The data the CPD collects from these forums will be presented to the Stadium Advisory Committee to review and take into consideration.

At Saturday’s forum, attendees were placed at different tables with facilitators from CPD and were asked to discuss their opinions about the stadium.

Each participant was asked to first give their input in the form of an anonymous survey, and they were later broken up into small groups to discuss the proposal further.

Out of the roughly 30 attendees, only one had a positive outlook about the stadium.

“Everyone has a view about this issue. Even when people are neutral they might still have opinions. It’s important to make sure their voice is heard,” said Jack Harries, one of CPD’s student associates.

Referring to Hughes Stadium, Vrooman said she worries about, “the environmental atrocity of rebuilding something that already exists.”

Vrooman lives with her husband within a mile of campus, close enough to hear the marching band practices from her house. While they enjoy hearing the music, she worries about the noise pollution that will accompany an on-campus stadium and because she already hears the band, Vrooman knows she’ll be able to hear the stadium noise from her home.

“The CSU campus is like an Indian reservation. The community members (surrounding the school) don’t really have a say in their decisions but those decisions still impact us,” Vrooman said.

Tuesday and Wednesday mark the final three forum meetings. Details can be found at cpd.colostate.edu. All students, community members and faculty with opinions about the on-campus stadium proposal, or who would like to learn more, are encouraged to attend.

Collegian writer Kate Simmons can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Want to make your voice heard?
Tuesday March 6 from 4:15-6:15 p.m. in the Cherokee Park Ballroom in the Lory Student Center
Tuesday March 6 from 7-9 p.m. in the Cherokee Park Ballroom in the Lory Student Center
Wednesday March 7 from 4:15-6:15 p.m. at the Drake Centre on 802 West Drake Road
Wednesday March 7 from 7-9 p.m. at the Drake Centre on 802 West Drake Road