Authors: Kevin Lytle

AIR FORCE ACADEMY-The CSU men’s basketball team waited until the final day of the regular season, but the Rams finally notched a road victory in conference play when they beat the Air Force Academy 75-65.

CSU (19-10, 8-6 MW) led at the half, but hot shooting behind the arc kept Air Force (13-15, 3-11 MW) in the game.

The Falcons hits 13 threes on the night.

With CSU up 57-56 Air Force fouled Wes Eikmeier and Max Yon was called for a technical. Eikmeier stepped to the line and hit two technical free throws and both ends of the one-and-one to give CSU a 61-56 lead.

The Rams were able to hold off Air Force the rest of the way.

Eikmeier led all scorers with 23, including five threes.

Air Force was down by as many as 11 in the first half, but were able to come back largely because of proficiency behind the three-point line.

The Falcons hit 8-11 threes in the first half and cut the deficit to 37-34 at the break.

Dorian Green scored 10 points in the first half. Michael Lyons had nine before the break for Air Force.

Both teams shot well all night. CSU shot 54 percent from the field and hit 9-16 threes. Every Ram that played scored at least four points.

Air Force hit 59 percent of its threes, but that number was around 70 percent until late in the game when the Falcons started heaving shots up in a desperate comeback attempt.

Lyons led Air Force in scoring with 18. Mike Fitzgerald added 16.

The Rams begin the Mountain West Tournament on Thursday. CSU will either be the No. 3 or No. 4 seed. A UNLV loss on Saturday night would give CSU the three spot. The 4/5 matchup plays at 3:35 p.m. MT. The 3/6 is at 9:35 p.m. MT.

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.