Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

Whenever we’re angry about exponentially increasing tuition and fees, at least we can say to ourselves, “Well, at least we’re not CU-Boulder.”

This is because, according to a report from the Boulder Daily Camera, one CU administrator has the privilege of working only seven months a year while making $500,000 – roughly the cost of 20 full scholarships for in-state students.

And CU-Boulder Chancellor Phil DiStefano gave himself an almost $50,000 a year pay raise, on top of asking students to shoulder a 15.7 percent tuition increase next year.

To put it into perspective, CSU President Tony Frank, CSU’s highest paid non-football coach employee, makes $392,000 a year, with an option for a performance-based bonus.

Yes, last year we were faced with a 20 percent tuition increase, and next year we’re seeing at least a 9 percent hike, but at the end of the day, at least our administrators aren’t granting themselves hefty pay raises.

But, as these allegations about shady pay practices in Boulder come to light, we should probably be a little worried.

After all, what message does it send if higher education leaders across the state are incessantly complaining about declining funds while some of the most prominent of those leaders are simultaneously giving themselves hefty raises?

While CSU isn’t guilty of this practice, CU-Boulder is, and it might just destroy some of higher ed in Colorado’s legitimacy as we fight to get more funding.

And that’s a pretty scary thought.