1. â€œDriveâ€- The biggest Oscar snub of them all starring a polarizing Ryan Gosling as a stunt driver by day, getaway driver by night. Hyper-stylized and deep, this is the coolest and smartest action film youâ€™ll see nowadays. (DVD)
2. â€œTree of Lifeâ€- More of a life-altering visual experience than a film, it boasts a stunning visual and musical style. If there was one film to remember in 2011, this would be it. (DVD)
3. â€œBeginnersâ€- Christopher Plummer has an incredible Oscar-nominated performance as an elderly man who proclaims he is gay to his son (Ewan MacGregor). (DVD)
4. â€œRangoâ€- The funniest movie I saw all last year has a striking brand of animation and all-star voice acting. Itâ€™s nominated for best animated film. (DVD)
5. â€œThe Artistâ€- By all accounts, the favorite to clean up the Oscars Sunday night. Whether its silent, black-and-white characteristics will remain more than a gimmick in a year or so is another question. (Lyric Cinema)
And of course, be sure to watch the Academy Awards on Sunday night.
Movie Reviewer Jason Berlinberg can be reached at email@example.com.