Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

In Denver, the Senate Bill 2, or the Colorado Civil Union Act, is under consideration by Colorado lawmakers. If passed, it will grant legal rights, such as the right to make legal, financial and medical decisions for each other, to any unmarried couple, including same-sex couples.

At the Collegian, we think this is a step in the right direction. But in the past, Coloradans have opposed similar bills. We think this is because they’re confusing civil unions with allowing gay marriage.

This bill is not about gay marriage. It’s about allowing rights to unmarried couples that should be a simple courtesy to any two people in love. The bill just happens to benefit same-sex couples… which we don’t see a problem with.

On the Editorial Board, we ask why homosexuals can’t marry. Those opposed might argue that the bible says marriage is between a man and a woman. There’s nothing wrong with religion, but there’s a separation between church and state. If your religion prohibits gay marriage, don’t get gay married. It’s actually pretty hard to get married, unless you happen to be in Las Vegas. And if you’re in Las Vegas, getting married to someone of the same gender isn’t the worst thing that can happen to you.

Besides, forbidding same-sex marriage won’t stop same-sex couples from loving each other, and everything that goes with that.