Authors: Allie Gastaldello

During the past few months, tensions between Iran and Israel have increased dramatically. Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has admitted his hatred toward the United States and Israel; it is undeniable that some sort of attack is brewing in the Middle East.

Iran’s nuclear program is a major threat, particularly to Israel and countries in the European Union. Although Iran claims to be using fuel enrichment plants for peaceful purposes, the BBC reported that “the IAEA confirmed that Iran had started the production of uranium enriched up to 20 percent,” in a plant near the city of Qom.

The attacks on Israeli diplomats we saw last week have been blamed on Iran, but officials have denied any involvement. According to Fox News, this week also marks the fourth anniversary of Hezbollah commander Imad Mughniyeh’s assassination, whose death is blamed on Israel.

In India last Monday, a bomb was attached to a diplomat’s car while his wife, Tal Yehoshua-Koren, was on her way to pick up her children at an American Embassy School in New Delhi. Five people acquired minor injuries and were sent to the hospital. In Georgia, an Israeli Embassy driver noticed a package attached to the bottom of his car and immediately called the police. It was taken care of without harming any civilians.

The following day in Thailand, another attack took place in Bangkok. A man with an Iranian passport strapped explosive devices to his legs and injured four people during two explosions that also blew off his own legs. Another bomb went off in a house nearby.

Now, the question on everyone’s mind is whether or not Israel will attack Iran, and if that attack will have any major effects. With the actual location of nuclear plants in Iran unknown, it is difficult to determine where the most detrimental point of attack would be. A major concern would be oil prices because according to FOX News, “the 27-nation EU accounts for about 18 percent of Iran’s oil export.”

In January, the UN Security Council, Germany and Iran met in Istanbul to discuss Iran’s nuclear program and oil concerns; however, they did not come up with a solution. Now, the French and Dutch had already cut back on purchasing Iranian oil. On Sunday, Iran announced a pre-emptive strike to cut supply to Great Britain and France companies, demanding that other nations sign long-term contracts if they do not wish to face the same consequences.

According to Reuters, the EU sanctioned to ban crude oil imports by July 1. “Iran was supplying more than 700,000 barrels per day to the EU plus Turkey in 2011.” There have also been restrictions placed on countries and companies working with Iranian banks and insurance companies.

U.S. Joint Chief of Staff Martin Dempsey stated, “We think that it’s not prudent at this point to decide to attack Iran.” Dempsey believes that the economic sanctions placed on Iran are going to be the most efficient way to get them to cooperate. However, he describes Iran as a “rational actor,” a phrase not many would agree with.

Unfortunately, the UN and President Obama have not decided what they will do if Israel attacks Iran. The problem seems inevitable, and it is up to our world leaders to decide upon a plan of action.

So far, economic sanctions have been the only repercussions to the growing tension in the Middle East, many of which have had no effect; at a time like this, we need true, strong, and determined leaders to take the appropriate actions. Iran has been a constant threat, and we need to find a solution addressing the attacks many are expecting to occur.

The College Republicans at CSU will be holding a viewing of the Republican debate on Wednesday at the Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity house (306 West Laurel St.) at 6 p.m. ‘Like’ us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter for details.

Allie Gastaldello is the Marketing Director of College Republicans at CSU.