Authors: David de Besche

It was a tale of two days for the CSU club hockey team, as the Rams split their two games this weekend, dominating the University of Denver club team on Friday, but falling to the University of Arizona on Saturday.

In front of a packed house at Epic Arena, the game against DU was close in the second period until freshman Jamison Wicks netted a powerplay goal to put the Rams (20-7-4) up 4-2. That was as close as the Pioneers got, as CSU ran away with the contest in the third, defeating Denver 9-4

“(Friday night) was a strong team effort. It was scoring by committee. We were getting production from a lot of players,” team president and captain Paul Jenkins said.

Wicks, along with Adrian Olson, had a game-high two goals for the Rams.

Saturday night, in the team’s last game before regionals in California, the Rams hosted the University of Arizona’s Division I club team. In a close game throughout, the Rams trailed the Wildcats 2-1 going into the final period.

“(Saturday night) was a tough one. We played well for the first and second (periods), but the wheels fell off in the third,” Jenkins said.

After two strong periods for CSU, the third was the opposite. A quick goal by the Wildcats to start the frame seemed to shock the Rams and they never recovered. Arizona found the net four times in the period, ultimately securing a victory.

“We just got discouraged after they scored a quick goal to start the third and it just went downhill from there,” Jenkins said.

Jenkins was not pleased with the lack of offense he saw Saturday after scoring nine times on Friday.

“Our offense only found the net once, which isn’t good enough,” Jenkins said.

With regionals beginning next Saturday Feb. 25 against the University of Washington, CSU will try to remember Friday and just forget about Saturday.

“Friday was just the kind of performance we will need to win regionals next week,” Jenkins said.

Club sports Beat Reporter David de Besche can be reached at sports@collegian.com.