Authors: Lauren Heil

When asked what inspires their music, Juno What?!’s lead singer Joey Porter replied with one word and one word only: “Sex.”

And, on Friday, the three funky, high-energy, masters of groove that make up Juno What?! are set to take the stage at Hodi’s Half Note tonight at 8 p.m. Tickets for the show are $10 pre-sale, $12 at the door for those over 21, and $15 for everyone else.

They put an electronic twist on sounds of 70’s and 80’s funk. An upcoming star in the world of dance music, Juno What?! captures crowds with rhythmic persuasion and shameless groove, but don’t go unless you’re ready keep our city’s reputation in good standing.

According to Porter, “Fort Collins people know how to party,” and if anyone knows how to throw a party, it’s these guys.

But then again, who would expect anything less of a band native to Colorado?

As Hodi’s website puts it, “It is easy to see that this is a musical force to be reckoned with.”

However, putting on shows is nothing new for these musicians. Porter, along with another band member Dave Watts, is also a member of the band Motet.

Their music delivers a modern vibe, but remains grounded in the scene of late-80s disco-funk. There is a sense of depth and soul in their songs, elements often lost in the world of new-age music, which is what makes the whole experience so enticing to college students.

“Young people just want to dance and have fun,” Porter said.

Collegian writer Lauren Heil can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

What: Juno What?!
Where: Hodi’s Half Note
When: 8 p.m. tonight
Cost: $10 pre-sale, $12 at the door, $15 under 21