Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

You’d be hard-pressed to find anything that brings college students to campus on Friday and Saturday mornings, except for maybe the morning after pill in a vending machine.

Shippensburg University of Pennsylvania has done just that. The university has a vending machine in its health center where students can get the emergency contraception pill, Plan B, for $25. This move has caused uproar in the media debating this issue.

While a few members of the Collegian Editorial Board felt uncomfortable with medication being dispensed this way, the majority think the vending machine idea is a good one.

According to an article in today’s Collegian, CSU has taken notice of Shippenburg’s move and is doing its research on implementing it.

A majority of the Editorial Board would be happy to see something like this happen at CSU (no not for those reasons). Dispensing Plan B on campus would make the medication more accessible for students who need it.

Some students might be uncomfortable or scared to go to the Planned Parenthood in Fort Collins and may prefer to get the medication in a quick, stress-free manner.

Other than the fact that it might look tacky, a Plan B vending machine would be a positive thing for students.

A few decades ago, contraception wasn’t even available on campus, now you can walk through the Lory Student Center Plaza and have condoms thrown at you. It could be possible that Plan B vending machines are where things are going. And CSU needs to continue be forward-thinking instead of being stuck in the past.