Authors: Emily Kribs

Paris. London. Milan. New York.

If there’s one thing these cities have in common, it’s that they’re fashion hotspots whose trends amaze around the globe.

Each season, the Fashion Group International (FGI) professional chapter in New York, compiles videos of fashion shows containing next season’s trends. This year’s spring/summer 2012 video has been made accessible to the CSU chapter of FGI, and will be shown tonight in the Grey Rock Room at the Lory Student Center in honor of Fashion Week. The video will be an hour long and begin at 7 p.m. followed by a presentation. Tickets cost $5 at the door.

“The presentation is about making these trends relevant to college students,” said Kealy Bowers, the university’s officer. “One of the biggest challenges of these trends is that they’re so expensive. What the presentation does is it takes a trend and explains how to achieve it at three different price points.”

“Some members (of FGI CSU Student Chapter) have reinterpreted these designs to fit into a college student’s budget,” said another FGI member, Brittany Hughes, an apparel design and production and art history double major.

“Some of the trends being shown will be tuxedo jackets, feathers, lace, metallic skirts… It’s mainly geared toward women,” Bowers said. “Men are welcome, but I don’t think the video covered many men’s shows.”

Hughes said that her personal favorite trend is the lace trend.
“It’s very fun and colorful, and I think it adds a lot of color and texture to other clothes. It’s fun, and very feminine, but it can also be edgy. I think we’ll see some of the edgier pieces in the video,” Hughes said.

“I’m also loving the feathers trend,” she added. “Feathers have been out — Well, it sounds a little silly to say that, but we haven’t seen feathers as much lately. But we’re seeing shirts and clothing with feather prints, and jewelry made of feathers, both real and metal ones. I love all the springy, feminine stuff coming up.”

The showing and presentation will be open to the public and students.

More information can be found at events.colostate.edu.

Collegian writer Emily Kribs can be reached at verve@collegian.com.

What: Ready to Wear Trends Spring/Summer 2012
When: 7 p.m.
Where: Grey Rock Room
Cost: $5 at the door
More information: events.colostate.edu