Authors: Bailey Constas

CSU Police Chief Wendy Rich-Goldschmidt, the first female police chief at CSU, has been police chief since 2010. Rich-Goldschmidt worked as police chief at UNC for six years previous to her career at CSU.

Collegian: What made you want to become a police officer?

Chief Wendy Rich-Goldschmidt: I had no idea what I was going to do after high school, but I knew I didn’t want to keep making minimum wage. I put myself through college, entering as an undeclared major. While taking a general education sociology class I studied law enforcement. That was it; I knew at that moment that I wanted to be a cop.

C: What has been the most exciting encounter you’ve had as a police officer?

R: My most exciting encounter has not really been any specific encounter, but rather a progression of events in my career. Specifically, I have worked on a college campus for the past 25 years. I have had the opportunity to work in a myriad of assignments and leadership positions. But the best thing about working on campus has been the on-going interaction with students. It has been very rewarding to partner with diverse groups of people and hear a variety of perspectives. It’s an incredible lesson in lifelong learning.

C: What has been/will be done about the recent rise in pedestrian/vehicular accidents?

R: Unfortunately, when you are trying to move lots of people in and around a confined space, accidents will sometimes occur. A quick look at recent CSUPD events does not reflect any particular rise in these types of incidents. Regardless, as a police department we are continually trying to educate our community about the importance of obeying the various traffic signs. We issue lots of warnings, provide educational safety messages/presentations and, yes, we also give tickets. It is important to note also that we have a fair amount of skateboard traffic. Accidents involving boarders is something we see. My best single piece of advice, especially to those on bikes, walking or boarding, is to be fully aware — at all times — when you are getting from point A to point B. This means turning off your electronic devices.

C: Have you ever personally been involved in an accident involving a bike/bus/pedestrian collision?

R: Yes, I have personally experienced this — I was in an accident with an individual who was operating a bike. She was found at fault, but fortunately was not seriously injured. I think most people will tell you — as would I, having experienced this first hand — it can happen very fast.

C: Have you had reports of bike cops colliding with anything or having accidents?

R: I am not aware of any recent reports of CSUPD bike cops having accidents.

C: On average, how many CSU police officers are in accidents on the job each year?

R: This is a very rough estimate, but probably one or two per year. Fortunately, this is not a common occurrence for us.

Collegian writer Bailey Constas can be reached at news@collegian.com.