Authors: Kyle Grabowski

The Boise State that CSU women’s basketball defeated 60-52 in January will not be the same team showing up at Moby Arena Tuesday night.

“They’re a fast-breaking team, that’s where they get the majority of their points, and I don’t think they scored any fast-break points against us last time,” sophomore Hayley Thompson said.

CSU also played outstanding defense in the first matchup, holding Boise State to 28 percent shooting from the floor, an effort the team will have to replicate to slow down Boise State’s high-flying offense.

The Broncos lead the Mountain West in scoring at 70.1 points per game, and have topped the 80-point mark six times this year.

“They’ve got two kids in (Lauren) Lenhard and (Katie) Isham that are very good, and I think they’re hard to guard because of it,” CSU coach Kristen Holt said.

Isham and Lenhard rank 4th and 5th in the MW in scoring at 14.8 and 14.6 points per game, respectively. Isham trails only CSU senior Kim Mestdagh in three-point field goals made per game, hitting 2.3 per contest, while Lenhard is second in the conference in field goal percentage.

“We hope to try to limit what they do, but at the same time we need to try and counter it with solid defense and an inside-outside game,” Holt said.

The Rams played inside-out well in the teams’ first matchup, with forward Sam Martin scoring 19 points and Mestdagh collecting a double-double with 21 points and 10 rebounds.

“We’ve got to get Sam going again, she’s had a couple games in conference that have been pretty low-scoring,” Holt said. “I’m not so much worried about her making the baskets, it’s just taking the shots and getting the touches. We need to make a concerted effort to get it inside.”

Should CSU prevail Tuesday night, it would be the Rams’ fourth consecutive win and sixth in a row at Moby Arena and move the them to 8-2 in conference play. A victory would also keep CSU on pace at one game back of conference-leading San Diego State.

“It’s really big, we can’t just fail now and miss an opportunity to secure second place,” Mestdagh said. “It’s really important that we win as many games as possible and don’t let down.”

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Boise State’s Double Trouble

Kati Isham
5-8 Senior
14.8 points per game
2.3 three-point field goals made per game

Lauren Lenhard
6-3 Junior
14.6 points per game
Shooting 52 percent from the field