Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

We lost a great this weekend. Pop superstar and musical giant Whitney Houston passed away from unknown causes in her Beverly Hills hotel room Saturday afternoon.

Houston was found in her room at 3:55 p.m. and, despite efforts by paramedics, could not be revived. According to USA TODAY, her body was taken to the coroner’s office and toxicology results will likely take some time.

And while it would be easy to re-hash the drug-fueled erratic behavior Houston became known for in the last few years of her life, we think this should be a time of mourning – a time to show respect for someone who, whether you care to admit it or not, was an icon.

Whether you remember Houston’s infamous rendition of the Star Spangled Banner at the 1991 Super Bowl or have “The Bodyguard” sitting in your Netflix queue, there’s no denying that the pop star had a certain effect on anyone –– even you.

Try playing the classic hit “I Will Always Love You” without blowing out the speakers of your car and losing your voice trying to hit the high notes. We dare you.

As headlines in the coming days and weeks will plaster images from Houston’s darker past, don’t think of her like that. Don’t think of her in recent years, when her marriage and sobriety crumbled in front of television audiences and magazine readers.

Think of her as a person who, despite falling from grace while on public display, was still a person.

And if that fails, just think of her voice.