Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

Tuesday, an online pawnshop purchased 7,200 Butterfingers and dumped them onto Boston’s Copley Square with a sign that read “Thank you Wes Welker,” according to ESPN.

The company, Pawnco.com, felt compelled to publicly show its disgust for the crucial dropped pass by the New England Patriots’ wide receiver in Sunday’s Super Bowl loss.

On the outside the prank sounds funny, but paired with the thousands of angry emails and series of death threats Welker received, there is no room for humor.

Sports fans have gotten completely out of control. How could any one game be so important to urge a normal person to feel pure hatred, hatred enough to threaten another man’s life?

It may be hard to swallow, but these games are far more important to the men and women in them than they could ever be to us, mere spectators.

Don’t you think Welker realizes the opportunity that slipped out of his hands, the pain he caused the fifty-one other men on the New England sideline?

Games are not decided on one play. You win as a team, you lose as a team. Every single member of the Patriots could tell you something they could have done better Sunday that would have helped the team come out on the winning end.

So before you send that email, or execute that prank, ask yourself: What am I doing?