Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

Don’t worry, Fort Collins wasn’t getting bombed on Saturday night. In fact, just the opposite was happening. Fireworks ended a CSU event honoring some of the donors who dropped dollar signs on our financially troubled university.

CSU has completed a seven-year fundraiser called Campaign for Colorado State, which raised $500 million — a feat that disgruntled students need to take note of. This money is going toward about 15,000 scholarships, facility renovations and new faculty chairs and professorships.

It’s somewhat comforting to know that the administrators of our school are giving a bit of thought to academics and not just to our athletics department.

Keep in mind, however, that we have nearly 90,000 rich folks to thank for all the money and not the state of Colorado. And as long as higher education is receiving such little funding, CSU will have to rely on private fundraising like this.

So, it would be safe to expect another epic university fundraiser to start in the not-too-distant future because we need the money…especially if we have a little $100 to $200 million on-campus stadium to foot the bill for.

It was almost impossible to miss those fireworks Saturday night, and hopefully they caught your attention, CSU. While they were lighting up the sky for purposes of a celebration, those fireworks simply shed some light on just how desperately our university needs financial support.