Authors: Allison Sylte

During a Friday morning press conference, CSU President Tony Frank and Vice President for Advancement Brett Anderson announced that in December, CSU reached its $500 million fundraising goal for the Campaign for Colorado State, an achievement that comes six months ahead of schedule.

“This is a day where you can absolutely say, ‘I’m proud to be a CSU Ram,”’ Anderson said to an assembled crowd of students, administration, press and faculty in the Lory Student Center Ballroom.

The Campaign, the first of its kind at the university, was first publicly announced in August 2009, and began a silent phase in 2005. The goal was to complete a $500 million fundraising effort in seven years.

“We launched the Campaign for Colorado State during one of the worst economic climates of any of our lifetimes,” Anderson said.

An estimated 90,000 people donated to the Campaign, 30,000 of whom were first-time donors. CSU received $85 million in private donations last year, a 47 percent increase in private fundraising for the year.

This fiscal year, according to a news release, CSU is on-pace to see a 20 percent increase in donors over last year.

CSU administrators chalk the increased emphasis on private fundraising up to decreases in state-funding at public universities, saying that donor funds help the university maintain its land grant reputation.

“That’s why private fundraising matters so much at public universities,” Frank said.

Highlights of the Campaign include:

-$508.3 million raised to date
-89,757 donors
-15,372 scholarships awarded
-$59 million raised for new scholarships
-16 new chairs and professorships
-39 facilities built or renovated
-66 donations of $1 million or more
-430 new planned gifts

More than $1 million gifts have accounted for 48.6 percent of the Campaign’s total. Out of the 39 facilities on-campus built since the Campaign, 23 have been partially funded by private support, and the remaining 16 have been fully funded by private donors.

Look for Monday’s Collegian to see a full analysis of what this accomplishment means for CSU.

Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com