Authors: Danielle McConnell

The story of chocolate is one told all over the world, and now it’s in a location near Colorado State University. Kilwins, a small factory located in Old Town, specializes in all the sinful desires of a chocolate lover.

“Sweet in every sense since 1947” is the motto that Kilwins holds to and showcases in every possible way. Whether it’s the hometown atmosphere and décor, or the friendly staff, something about this place keeps customers coming back over and over again.

“It is really nostalgic and old-timey in there. I had a small sweets shop in my hometown and it reminds me of that – very home-like,” Paige McCaleb, a senior journalism major, said.

With the holiday season quickly approaching, chocolate takes on a whole new persona. At Kilwins Chocolates, Christmas means a time for molds.

“We mold our own chocolate delights, which include symbols like Santa, Christmas trees, and Jewish gelt, which is a monetary coin in that culture,” Josh Johnson, manager at Kilwins, said. Beyond the molds, chocolate begins to take on a new theme with a pumpkin-walnut brownie for the fall season.

During the holiday season, Kilwins will release its peppermint-stick fudge and mint-chocolate cookies. For Valentine’s Day, a cherry cordial fudge is colored specially in the spirit of love. Most of the locations receive deliveries every week, but the Fort Collins location works with what they have to make specialties that can’t be found anywhere else.

“Being the only Kilwins west of the Mississippi allows for some creation of more original recipes,” Johnson said.

He recommends coming in and trying the chocolate peanut butter cups, but with all the other treats available, customers should probably go in and try a little bit of everything.

Specializing in treats from chocolate, fudge and caramel to even more extravagant apples, corns and brittles, Kilwins is the spot to fulfill any chocolate lover’s dream.