Authors: Emily Smith

From documentaries to comedians to famous speakers, February will be packed full of Black History Month events at CSU.

According to Joy Anderson, president of the Black Student Alliance, the Black/African American Cultural Center brought several student organizations together to plan out events and prepare the calendar for Black History Month.

“I think it’s important to celebrate black history and diversity always,” Anderson said, “but I think Black History Month gives us time to recognize how far we’ve come and how far we still have to go.”

According to Danielle McConnell, president of Black Definition, the Black History Month kickoff will take place on Feb. 1 in the Lory Student Center Commons at noon with Fort Collins Mayor Karen Weitkunat in attendance.

“I’m excited for people to come and explore history this month,” McConnell said. “We always have a few really exciting speakers.”

One of those speakers this year will be Daryl Davis, on Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. in the Cherokee Park Ballroom in the LSC.

“He (Davis) is known for converting members of white supremacist groups,” McConnell said.

Ilyasah Shabazz, the daughter of Malcom X, will also be speaking on Feb. 23 at 7 p.m. in the LSC’s North Ballroom.

United Men of Color is sponsoring a viewing and discussion of the documentary “Why We Laugh” on Feb. 16 at 4 p.m. in the LSC, room 204.

“It pretty much talks about the history of black comedy in America,” said Edward Harlan, president of United Men of Color at CSU.

According to Anderson, the Black Student Alliance is putting on “A Night in Harlem” on the last day of Black History Month, which will feature casino games, jazz, prizes and raffles, as well as educational posters. It will take place in the Cherokee Park Ballroom at 7 p.m. on Feb. 28.

“We wanted to end it with something fun,” Anderson said. “Black History Month is a really exciting time for CSU.”

McConnell said it is important to celebrate Black History Month in the CSU community.

“It’s an opportunity for people to learn and experience people and events they wouldn’t normally be around,” McConnell said. “Black History Month is that door for people to get a better understanding and be more aware.”

For more information and the full calendar of events, students are encouraged to visit the Black/African American Cultural Center in LSC, room 204, or go online at baacc.colostate.edu.

Collegian writer Emily Smith can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Attend Black History Month events at CSU:

Feb. 1 – Black History Month Kickoff – 12 p.m. – Lory Student Center Commons

Feb. 9 – Daryl Davis on his Extraordinary Journey Into the Heart of the Institutions of the Ku Klux Klan – 7 p.m. – LSC, Cherokee Park Ballroom

Feb. 10 – Social Issues Comedian Tracey Ashley – 5 p.m. – LSC, Ramskeller

Feb. 23 – Malcom X’s Daughter: Ilyasah Shabazz – 7 p.m. – LSC, North Ballroom

Feb. 28 – A Night in Harlem: Games, Magic, Music & Light Refreshments – 7 p.m. – LSC, Cherokee Park Ballroom