Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

Ron Paul’s visit has brought a level of excitement to the CSU community that we haven’t seen since that last presidential candidate came to speak.

And while we happy young voters are getting excited about a presidential candidate, and a Republican no less, we also have some reservations — namely, that people are getting swept up in a Ron Paul frenzy without stopping to question what his presidency would actually mean.

Paul’s supporters can tout “revolution,” “common sense” and “liberty” all they’d like, but the truth is that some of Paul’s more radical ideals would have some serious consequences.

If elected, Paul promises to eliminate the Federal Reserve, cede most federal power to the states (that would include repealing numerous important federal mandates, including the ones that prohibit segregation in schools) and return to a gold standard.

He also believes that, rather than relying on government restrictions for environmental control, free enterprise is perfectly capable of regulating the environment. Call us crazy, but the BP oil spill pretty much proves how misguided this idea is.

And while Paul claims to be a stringent libertarian, he nevertheless advocates banning abortion and is quoted as saying that gay marriage is absurd.

We’re glad young people have found a candidate they can believe in, and someone who they can rally around, but we’re not quite sure it’s a good thing that they’re rallying around Ron Paul.

After all, “revolution” and “liberty” sound great at face value, but when you actually research what they mean to Paul, they might not be so great after all.