Authors: Andrew Carrera

In order to speak out against CSU’s proposed on-campus stadium, 82 community members filled a room in the Westminster Presbyterian Church Wednesday night for a local forum hosted by Save Our Stadium, Hughes.

To Terry Podmore, a civil engineering professor emeritus at the university, the consequences would be dreadful.

“I find it an absolutely travesty that they consider raising from private donations 100 to 200 to however many million dollars for a football stadium, when the state only provides seven percent of the finances needed to run the university,” he said. “We are not a state university anymore. We are supported privately by research dollars and student tuition.”

If the plans go through, he continued, it would devastate CSU’s already-crippled academic program.

Other attendees voiced similar concerns.

“I think it’s to have a good football team. I don’t think it’s everything,” said Fort Collins resident Joe Erickson. “There’s more hype here lately on the football team than on academics.”

But others talked about the additional range of issues they had with the on-campus stadium proposal as well, talking about how the money and effort could instead be used to build cancer research facilities, or crop fields.

The most commonly shared issues, however, dealt with the added stress that comes with having a stadium close by and the tens of thousands of people that would fill it every weekend.

“Building a new stadium here on the campus is going to affect every person in this room … Where are you going to put 40,000 cars? In your yard? In your street? In your yard? In your street?” said Charles Kavalec, pointing to audience members. “Have you been to any of the football games (at Hughes Stadium)? After the games, do you see the trash out there? Where’s this trash going to be? It’s going to be in your yard. It’s going to be on your street.”

Event organizer Bob Vangermeersch said he invited CSU’s Board of Governors –– who have the authority to scrub the stadium plans –– to the meeting, but was unsuccessful in getting them to attend.

“They sent me a note saying, we’re starting a public process … that’s what they’re going by,” he said. “They did not seem to be very interested in listening to what we have to say.”

Senior Reporter Andrew Carrera can be reached at news@collegian.com.

Main concerns voiced:

• CSU’s academic program isn’t being valued enough.
  • There will be too much trash ending up on people’s property because of the games.
  • Cars will end up parking on the residential streets as stadium parking overflows.
  • The concerts held in the stadium will cause too much noise in the neighborhood.