Authors: Andrew Schaller

After two momentum-building conference wins over Boise State and Wyoming, the CSU women’s basketball team will look to continue its winning ways Wednesday night against New Mexico at Moby Arena.

One of the reasons for the Rams’ (7-12, 3-1 MW) recent success has been their ability to limit the amount of turnovers they commit –– a focal point of the team all season.

Leading the offense has been LaDeyah Forte, the Rams’ true freshman point guard who has averaged only two turnovers per game in their last three contests.

“That’s a huge part of our success, just like the 11 [turnovers] we had the other day,” CSU coach Kristen Holt said. “She’s done a good job of not turning it over, and she’s had quite a few assists.”

According to Forte, the absence of turnovers can be attributed to making better reads on offense.

“Mainly just seeing defense and seeing your player and when they’re open. Kind of being the eyes for them,” Forte said. “Just being patient and taking care of the ball.”

In addition to taking care of the ball on offense, the Rams have relied on Sam Martin and Kim Mestdagh, their leading scorers of the year, to provide a spark on offense.

In the last three games, both Martin and Mestdagh have scored in double-digits, but CSU is looking for more production from its role players in order to have success throughout the remainder of the season, according to Holt.

Following the game tonight against last place New Mexico (6-12, 0-4 MW), CSU will travel to San Diego State on Saturday to face the team with the best record in the Mountain West.

Not overlooking New Mexico before the San Diego State game will be a challenge for CSU, as they have the opportunity to get into first place in the conference by the end of the week. They currently sit one game out of first place.

“We’ve definitely got to stay focused because it’s kind of dangerous playing a team that hasn’t won [in-conference play],” Mestdagh said.

Women’s Basketball Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com.

Who: New Mexico vs. CSU
When: Tonight at 7 p.m.
Where: Moby Arena
Coverage: CSU sports network AM 1410 KIIX