Authors: Moonier Said

As a CSU senior, Chase Baker is using his last semester to leave his mark on the university in the form of a t-shirt.

Since 2003, the student government has asked Rams to create their own design for the For-Ever-Green t-shirt that is given out at orientation. Students have until Jan. 27 to submit designs for the 2012 shirt.

“This year might be my last chance to do the contest, so I really wanted to submit a design. So I planned ahead and started working on it during Christmas break,” said Baker, a journalism major.

All current students are allowed to enter the contest, and the winner is decided by the student body. The winning prize is $250, five free t-shirts and a display case of the winning submission.

Director of Student Services Tim Brogdon proofs the design submissions, makes sure the fonts used on the design are correct and helps to order the shirts as well.

“We want students to see that ASCSU is working for them and that we are trying to take care of the student body,” Brogdon said.

Student Services looks to obtain as many entries as possible. The most they have ever gotten from one contest is 81 submissions.

“When I wear my shirt, I feel proud of the connections I made with students through working with them in Orientation, and it inspires me to still be a helping hand,” said sophomore orientation leader and biological science major Tim Gold.

Incoming freshmen get the t-shirts for free so they can feel one with their peers and be incorporated into the university setting.

“By giving each freshman a For-Ever-Green shirt, it automatically includes them in that tradition, gives them a resource to learn the fight song — it unites them into a solid grove of green,” said Deputy Director of Student Services Lynn Stout.

Even though the shirts are given to incoming freshmen, upperclassmen can buy them as well.

“I will be buying a t-shirt because I got to be a part of this process, and I will never lose my pride for Colorado State University,” Brogdon said.

Collegian writer Moonier Said can be reached at news@collegian.com.