Penn State Football Coach Joe Paterno dead at 85

Joe Paterno, the winningest coach in college football history and the coach of Penn State for nearly half a century, died Sunday morning. He was 85 years old.

His death came 65 days after his son announced that the famed coach had been diagnosed with a treatable form of lung cancer. A statement released by Mt. Nittany Medical Center said he died of, “metastatic small cell carcinoma of the lung.”

Last year, Paterno’s legacy was marred by a sex abuse scandal at Penn State, which prompted his early dismissal from his position as football coach.

Paterno won 409 games during his tenure at the university and won two national championships. More than 250 of the players he coached wound up in the NFL, according to the Associated Press.

“He will go down as the greatest football coach in the history of the game,” Ohio State coach Urban Meyer said in an Associated Press article.

Gabrielle Giffords resigns from House of Representatives

Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, a democrat from Arizona, announced Sunday that she is going to step down from her position in the House of Representatives.

Last year, Giffords was the victim of a shooting that left her with traumatic brain injuries, and that resulted in the death of six of her constituents in a supermarket parking lot.

“I don’t remember much from that horrible day, but I will never forget the trust you placed in me to be your voice. Thank you for your prayers and for giving me time to recover. I have more work to do on my recovery, so to do what is best for Arizona I will step down this week,” Giffords said in a video she released on Sunday.

According to the New York Times, Giffords’ resignation throws the race for her seat into chaos. She barely beat her republican opponent in 2010, but was expected to be a shoo-in for the next election, the article said.

The governor of Arizona is required to announce a date for a special election to replace Giffords within 72 hours of her resignation. A primary must take place within 80 to 90 days, followed by a general election within 50 to 60 days.

“I salute Representative Giffords for her service, and for the courage and perseverance she has shown in the face of tragedy. She will be missed,” House Speaker John Boehner said in a statement.