Authors: Andrew Schaller

Following one of their best wins of the year against Boise State, the CSU women’s basketball team will return to Fort Collins Saturday afternoon to face Wyoming in the first of two Border Wars this year.

Wyoming (6-10, 2-1MW) comes into the game fresh off a 98-36 drubbing of Air Force in which the team shot 63.9 percent from the field, and 61.1 percent from the three-point range.

“They can penetrate, and they can shoot from the outside,” CSU coach Kristen Holt said. “I think they’re a good team, and they’ve got a good combination of inside and outside (shooters).”

Leading Wyoming on the inside and the outside has been Kayla Woodward. The true freshman forward has scored over 20 points in two of the last three games, including 28 against Air Force when she went 4-of-5 from behind the arc.

“I think we just have to play solid post defense,” said sophomore Sam Martin, who will likely have to guard Woodward during the game. “You’ve just kind of got to stop them, box them out, don’t let them get second opportunities and just play the best defense you can.”

Another area that the Rams (6-12, 2-1 MW) will watch during the game is their turnover margin.

In their victory over Boise State, the Rams had 17 turnovers, slightly less than their 21.8 per game average.

Wyoming comes in with the lowest turnover per game average in the MW at 12.8.

“That’s a big focus (the turnovers),” point guard LaDeyah Forte said. “We try to keep those down every game, but we’ve just gotta take care of the ball, stay calm, and I think that will be good for us.”

After the Wyoming game, the Rams will take on New Mexico at home Wednesday before they travel to San Diego State for a match-up against the top team in the conference.

“Any game that’s at home, I think, is really important for us,” Holt said. “I think when you’re playing in the Mountain West, home games are huge, and then you hope to pick up a few road games along the way.”

Women’s basketball Beat Reporter Andrew Schaller can be reached at sports@collegian.com

What: Wyoming vs. CSU
When: Saturday at 1 p.m.
Where: Moby Arena
Coverage: CBS Sports Network