Authors: Taylor Pettaway

CSU students are now able to experience the cultures of the world without ever leaving campus. The Kendall Anderson Nutrition Center is hosting an International Cuisine Dining Series for students and community members to learn how to make popular dishes from countries around the world.

“The International Cuisine Dining Series just sounded like something that would be a lot of fun for both presenters and participants,” said Michelle Milholland, the event coordinator and teacher for the series, in an email to the Collegian. “Having a series lets us carry a theme throughout the semester, and it also allows participants to come to individual classes, or attend the entire series at a discounted price.”

The International Dining series runs for four months with each month featuring food from countries like Greece, Japan and Italy. On Friday, Jan. 20, the Nutrition Center is hosting its first event highlighting popular dishes from India in Room 114 of the Gifford Building.

According to Milholland, the menu for the series consists of popular Indian dishes like curry, saag and naan, lots of fresh veggies and vegetarian protein sources in the Japanese dishes, homemade pasta in the Italian dishes and fresh herbs and healthful fats in the Greek dishes. Participants can expect to make four to five dishes per country.

The classes are designed to be educational as well as fun. According to Milholland, the purpose for hosting the dining events is to provide a healthy alternative meal for participants, highlight the health benefits of each cuisine and demonstrate traditional favorites that can be made at home. Students will be learning cooking techniques, nutritional value, different variations of the meals and budget-friendly recipes to take home.

“It is always beneficial for students to learn to cook healthy meals for themselves, and the fact that we will also have the opportunity to experience dishes from around the world gives us a great chance to add variety to our diets and it will be fun to learn how,” said Kayla Fredericksen, a junior food science human nutrition dietetics major.

The Kendall Anderson Nutrition Center holds one series a semester with some evening classes for students and Fort Collins residents who would like to participate in the classes. Each class holds 15 people with a price of $10 for students and $20 for non-students.

Collegian writer Taylor Pettaway can be reached at news@collegian.com.