Authors: The Rocky Mountain Collegian Editorial Board

According to an article in the New York Times, there’s a concerning new trend making the rounds among America’s high school students.

No, there’s not some terrifying new drug out there. Instead, as a badge of love, high schoolers are sharing their Facebook and email passwords with their significant others — the ultimate form of intimacy in today’s hyper-digital age.

Rosalind Wiseman, an author who studies the relationship between teenagers and technology, even went as far to say that the pressure some teenagers feel to share passwords is comparable to their pressure to have sex.

And while us old farts here at the Collegian have never heard of this newfangled password sharing trend until now, it seems pretty crazy.

For instance, imagine if, after sharing email and Facebook passwords, a relationship starts to go sour. Imagine the stalking and havoc that could be wrecked.

Pretty scary, right?

But even more concerning than that, what does it say about this generation if we consider sharing our digital lives to amount to the ultimate badge of trust in a relationship? What does it mean if our physical relationships are so shaped by our digital ones?

So, to all of you lovebirds out there, before you think about sharing passwords, maybe try to share something a bit more emotionally significant instead.