Authors: Kyle Grabowski

Students came to Moby Arena for a free hot dog, but stayed for the outstanding play of junior guard Dorian Green and the rest of the CSU men’s basketball team.

The Rams defeated Boise State 66-55 for their eighth-straight win and a 2-0 start in Mountain West play.

Green scored 20 points on the night to go along with six rebounds, three assists and zero turnovers.

“Dorian’s good at driving the ball, he’s not a one-dimensional guy,” CSU coach Tim Miles said.

Green finished the game with two thunderous dunks and a nice pass to Will Bell on the fast break, who finished with a rim-rocker of his own.

“I thought my second one was pretty good until I passed it back to Will and he showed me how you’re really supposed to dunk it,” Green said. “I was feeling good and had a high energy. I kind of surprised myself and just dunked it.”

CSU led by 13 before Green’s dunk, but the margin ballooned to a game-high 17 for the Rams and they didn’t let up on the gas after that.

“Over the course of the season so far we’ve been getting up on teams and letting teams back in the game,” Green said. “We were a little better defensively tonight, which helps, but we need to do better on the boards.”

Boise State out-rebounded CSU 37 to 33, and pulled down 15 offensive boards to the Rams’ four.

“I don’t think we’ll come away too good if we let up that many offensive rebounds,” senior guard Kaipo Sabas said. “We can’t give up that many second chances. We need to finish possessions.”

In spite of the gaudy offensive rebounding numbers, Boise State was unable to capitalize on CSU’s mistakes, only scoring 11 second chance points.

Boise State’s offense in general was off-target as well, shooting 33.8 percent from the field and 7-for-24 from behind the three point arc.

The team’s leading scorer, Anthony Drmic, only scored two points on 1-for-8 shooting, but did grab 12 rebounds on the night.

“He missed some shots he normally hits, so that kind of helps,” Green said. “We were focused on not letting him get going early and making him work for everything. When he can’t get in a rhythm early that really helps.”

CSU’s offense was clicking on all cylinders, on the other hand, as the Rams shot 56.3 percent from beyond the arc. CSU took 11 threes in the first half, making seven of them.

“”It’s kind of one of those damned-if-you-do damned-if-you-don’t things,” Boise State coach Leon Rice said. “If you don’t take their inside they’ll get to the rim a lot. We’ve got to be able to guard both and we didn’t do that.”

Junior Wes Eikmeier, CSU’s leading scorer, only scored five points and shot 20 percent from the field with two turnovers, but his teammates stepped up around him.

“Everybody has an off night every now and then, so other guys have to step up,” Green said. “We’ve been doing it the last couple games, when somebody’s not having the best night everybody else has got to pick each other up.”

Men’s Basketball Beat Reporter Kyle Grabowski can be reached at sports@collegian.com.