Authors: Matt Miller

The CSU Internal Auditing Department has found nothing suspicious after reviewing financial transactions close to Matt Strauch, the former ASCSU official arrested in December for allegedly stealing thousands from local organizations.

“Nothing came to (the auditor’s) attention that gave any indication of wrongdoing related to ASCSU or its accounts,” said Director of Internal Auditing Allison Horn in an email to ASCSU.

Strauch, a CSU senior seeking his second bachelor’s degree, was arrested on Dec. 22 for two counts of theft and three counts of identity theft. He allegedly stole upwards of $25,000 from Bas Bleu Theatre Co., where he was general manager, and $41,881,93 from T.R. Paul Academy of Arts and Knowledge, where he served as the board treasurer.

ASCSU President Eric Berlinberg said a review of all financial records close to Strauch was immediately launched after the arrest –– as is protocol any time there is suspicion of theft. Auditors pulled all records from when Strauch had authority over money in his four years at ASCSU.

Berlinberg said he was not worried that any financial inaccuracies would show up.

“We have such strict internal controls it’s not possible,” Berlinberg said.

He added that even though he wasn’t worried Strauch had stolen anything from ASCSU, it was still nice to see on paper that everything was fine.

“(He) was such a close co-worker and friend it came as a shock and if anything were to happen in ASCSU it would be more of a shock,” Berlinberg said.

With the audit into finances close to Strauch complete, Berlinberg said that ASCSU is no longer involved in police investigations.

ASCSU is currently accepting applications to replace Strauch as director of finance. Berlinberg said he plans to fill the position by Jan. 22 or 23.

News Editor Matt Miller can be reached at news@collegian.com.