Authors: Erin Udell

Making a move from the wonderful world of Disney, to the wonderful state of Colorado, Dr. Mark Stetter was announced Wednesday as the new dean of CSU’s College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.

Stetter, who, according to a university news release, has more than 23 years of experience in veterinary medicine, comes to CSU after working as the director of animal operations for the Walt Disney Company.

He is set to take over in May, replacing Dr. Lance Perryman who, after more than a decade as dean, will retire this spring.

“Colorado State University’s College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences is one of the best in the world, with top-flight faculty and academic programs,” CSU President Tony Frank said in the release.

“In seeking the next dean, we wanted someone with vision, leadership, research and administrative experience to advance the college’s research, support faculty achievement, engage alumni and constituents, and provide extraordinary education to our students. We found those qualities in Mark, and I am pleased to welcome him to Colorado State.”

During his time at Disney, Stetter oversaw the care of thousands of animals in company programs and parks. He also managed a staff of 500 animal-care experts and managed the company’s international wildlife research and conservation programs.

He currently serves as chair of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians Research Committee and is the president and founder of the Elephant Population Management Program, helping African countries address issues associated with elephant overpopulation.

“I cannot tell you how honored and excited I am to have been selected as dean of the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences,” Stetter said in the release.

“The college does so many incredible things to help animals, help people and help the planet. I look forward to joining the CSU team and helping the college achieve even more great things.”

News Editor Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.