Authors: Kevin Lytle

The staff that will join new football coach Jim McElwain in leading CSU in its “bold new era” is starting to take shape.

In a press release sent out late Wednesday afternoon, CSU announced the hiring of three coaches to McElwain’s staff, two of them are returners from former coach Steve Fairchild’s regime.

Jim Baldwin and Tim Duffie were named as assistant coaches without a specific title, while Tom Ehlers was named as director of football operations.

McElwain, who is currently with the University of Alabama football team preparing for the National Championship game on Jan. 9 against LSU, will announce the titles of the coaches once his full staff is in place.

Baldwin, a Denver native, has served for the past three years as the offensive coordinator at Utah State.

Under Baldwin, Utah State ranked sixth in the nation in rushing yards and 24th in scoring offense at 33.6 points per game this past season.

Prior to coming to Utah State in 2009, Baldwin spent two years at New Mexico as offensive coordinator and four seasons (2003-06) in the same position at Michigan State.

CSU and Utah State played in Logan, Utah on Oct. 24 in a game that the Rams won 35-34 in double-overtime.

In that game Utah State ran for 279 yards, but passed for only 86.

Baldwin played for Jack Elway, John’s father, at Cal State Northride and coached under him early in his career.

Duffie joined CSU in early 2008 as cornerbacks coach. He was promoted to secondary coach prior to the 2011 season.

He has been vital to the Rams successful recruiting of the state of Texas, helping to bring in players like tight end Crockett Gillmore, center Weston Richburg, safety Austin Gray and receiver Thomas Coffman.

Duffie’s recruiting success in Texas has made the state’s schools take notice.

Before CSU played the University of Texas-El Paso in October, UTEP coach Mike Price joked that “we’re going to build a fence to keep Tim away from any recruits here in Texas.”

Ehlers will enter his eight season as director of football operations in 2012. He played for CSU in the 1980s, starting on both offensive and defensive lines.

His 16 seasons as an assistant coach at Colorado State (1989-2004) was the longest tenure by an assistant in school history.

Assistant Sports Editor Kevin Lytle can be reached at sports@collegian.com.