Authors: Allison Sylte

Governor John Hickenlooper’s office announced Wednesday that he has reappointed Don Elliman and appointed Russell Neil Johnson to the CSU System Board of Governors, pending Colorado State Senate approval.

Johnson has been appointed to the seat held by former BOG Chair and McCoy rancher Pat McConathy, whose seat expires in Janaury. Johnson is a republican from Sterling, according to a press release, and was chosen because of his extensive knowledge of agriculture.

Elliman, a democrat from Greenwood Village, was first appointed to the board in September 2010, when he was chosen to fill the remaining 15 month term of the late Tom Farley.

Elliman was appointed in 2009 by then-Governor (and current head of CSU’s Center for the New Energy Economy) Bill Ritter as the state’s first chief operating officer. Prior to that, he served as director of Colorado’s Office of Economic Development and International Trade, according to the CSU System website.

He was the publisher of People magazine and the president and publisher of Sports Illustrated, and also served as the president and CEO of Ascent Sports, which owns the Colorado Avalanche, Denver Nuggets and the Pepsi Center.

Elliman is currently the BOG’s treasurer.

If the senate approves Gov. Hickenlooper’s appointments, both Elliman’s and Johnson’s terms will expire Dec. 31, 2015.

Watch for the Collegian’s first issue of the new school year on Tuesday, Jan. 17 for in-depth coverage of the hiring decision.

Content Managing Editor Allison Sylte can be reached at news@collegian.com.