Authors: Erin Udell

Two long-time members of the Associated Students of CSU resigned early this week, adding to the now five open executive positions for this upcoming spring semester.

Matt Strauch, the former director of finance, and Keegan Schulz, the former director of RamRide, submitted their official resignations on Monday, citing personal reasons.

According to an email sent out by ASCSU President Eric Berlinberg, controller Taylor Jackson will take over Strauch’s duties as the interim Director of Finance and Chief of Staff Regina Martel will oversee RamRide operations until a director is named.

Berlinberg, in an email to the Collegian, said he accepted both Strauch and Schulz’s resignations before adding, “We appreciate their service to the students of Colorado State University.”

Strauch served under four different administrations during his time at ASCSU and Schulz, who was named director of RamRide this past October, joined the organization as a senator in fall 2007.

“It’s really hard,” Schulz said of his resignation. “It was probably the hardest decision I’ve had to make.”

The senior applied computing technology major said he ultimately had to resign because he’ll be transferring from CSU this spring. Schulz added, however, that he’s confident with the department he’s leaving behind.

“The staff in RamRide are very capable people and any one of them will do just fine,” he said. “They’re probably the most dedicated people I know.”

Schulz also added that, unlike the beginning of his tenure, the new director will have less to worry about in terms of implementing new initiatives — including the RamRide Return program that launched this semester.

For Strauch, leaving ASCSU was, much like for Schulz, bittersweet but necessary. Ultimately, serving in one of ASCSU’s key executive positions while also pursuing a second bachelor’s degree in social work, proved to be too much of a time commitment.

“It’s a little bit of a void in my life, but it’s a good change,” Strauch said. “I really need to focus on my academics.”

“Taylor (Jackson) is controller, so she understands the elements of my job,” he said of his former department’s future leadership. “I also left a good filing system, so I think it will be just fine.”

Berlinberg said he has opened up the application process for all five empty positions, including the Deputy Director of RamRide ­– Volunteers and Staffing, the deputy director of RamRide – Positive Impact and the deputy director of Community Development – Greek Life Affairs.

Interested students are encouraged to submit a completed application and current resume to president@ascsu.colostate.edu before the Jan. 20 deadline at 4:30 p.m. Berlinberg will set up interviews and ratification for these positions will take place on Feb. 1.

News Editor Erin Udell can be reached at news@collegian.com.