Authors: Logan Martinez

Feeling a little behind the technology craze? Well, this year’s gift to give is a hand-held
computer tablet. Tablets are versatile gifts that range from recreational web surfing and games to notetaking for classes.

According to Alex Layman, a sophomore communications major and a computer and tablets specialist at Best Buy, most tablets run with a software that is about one to 1.5 gigahertz.

“In terms of a computer this would be really slow, but for a tablet it is actually really fast,” Layman said. “Since it is touch-based, it is actually faster than you can move, and that is all it needs to do.”

Colorado State University’s Morgan Library offers the opportunity to check out the iPad 2 for a 24-hour period during which you can take it home to test it out with your home computer. This is a great way to test out the iPad to see if it is the right gift for the holiday season.

Chris Chagnon, a senior political science major and library computer technician, said this opportunity arose to allow easier access of online databases that are utilized by students.

“Introducing the iPad into the library is part of an information and technology push,” Chagnon said.

At the Consumers Electronics Show (CES) 2011 in Las Vegas, more than 75 different tablets were showcased. The most common tablets found in stores are the iPad 2 and Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) processors such as the Acer Iconia, Samsung Galaxy, Asus Transformer and the Toshiba Thrive.

No matter which one is preferred, they all have similar apps available for gaming, notetaking and more. Though most tablets lack a USB or SD port, Layman explained that they won’t be necessary for long due to online storage availability.

A great way to ask family for this oh, so very light and portable computing device is to offer a statistic on the matter. According to the Pearson Foundation, 86 percent of tablet owners in college or college-bound say that tablets help students study more efficiently than other technological devices.

“These are going to throw you into the future, whether you like it or not,”
Layman said.

iPad 2: 9.7-inch LED-backlit display, Dual-core A5 chip, Front-facing and rear-facing cameras, Wi-Fi capability, Bluetooth technology and 10-hour battery life.

Acer Iconia: 10.1-inch high-definition touchscreen display, Android 3.0 Honeycomb operating system, Wi-Fi capability, Front-facing and rear-facing cameras, Media card reader for microSD and USB, Bluetooth technology and Eight-hour battery life.

Samsung Galaxy: 10-inch high-definition widescreen touchscreen display, Android 3.1, Honeycomb operating system, Wi-Fi capability, Front-facing and rear-facing cameras, Customizable options, Bluetooth technology and 14-hour battery life.

Asus Transformer: 10.1-inch touchscreen display, Android 3.0 Honeycomb operating system, Wi-Fi capability, Front-facing webcam with microphone and rear-facing camera, Media card reader, Lithium-polymer battery and Keyboard and mouse attachment capabilities.

Toshiba Thrive: 10.1-inch high-definition wide touchscreen display, Android Honeycomb operating system, Wi-Fi capability, Front-facing and rear-facing cameras, Media card reader for SD, SDHC and SDXC cards, Bluetooth technology and Prismatic lithium-ion battery.