Authors: Collegian Staff Report

New leaders were chosen Wednesday to head key positions within Rocky Mountain Student Media for the 2012-2013 academic school year.

Allison Sylte, who currently serves as the Collegian’s content managing editor, will be the 2012-2013 digital media manager for all four of the campus’ student publications. Kaitie Huss, CTV’s executive producer of student television productions, will be the station’s manager next year.

The Collegian’s editor-in-chief and KCSU’s station manager for 2012-2013 were chosen on Dec. 2.

Sylte and Huss will spend the 2012 spring semester training for their new positions while performing the duties of their current posts. Both will officially assume the responsibilities of their recent appointments in May 2012.

‘Media for the new millennium’

“It’s definitely really exciting. I’m looking forward to next year. We’re going to do some cool things,” Sylte said.

The junior journalism major is charged with building the online presences of the Collegian, CTV, College Avenue and KCSU –– a task the Collegian’s advisor, Mike Humphrey, sees as central to the future success of the university’s student media publications.

The Internet has become “front and center,” he said, in the way information is consumed and journalists must adapt accordingly.

Sylte believes she, and the rest of her generation, are uniquely positioned to do just that.

“What better age group is there to change the way that media is consumed for people like us?” she said. “This is a fantastic opportunity … we’re going to create media for the new millennium.”

‘A welcoming place’

“I’ve been working for it (the station manager position) since I’ve been at CTV,” said Huss, a junior journalism major.

She currently works at the campus television station as its executive producer of student television productions, running all of the publication’s non-news content.

As station manager, Huss hopes to make CTV a more welcoming place for students eager to learn about broadcast journalism.

“Increasing volunteer participation … That’s my main platform,” she said.

But Huss added she will be careful about judging herself too harshly if not every one of her goals as station manager is met.

“If I make progress with at least half of my plans,” she said, recalling the advice of CTV’s advisor, Mario Caballero, “I think that we’re doing a good job.”