Authors: the Collegian Editorial Board

ome tragedies don’t just devastate –– some tragedies open up old wounds.

Thursday, Virginia Tech University arose with an all too familiar fear when two people, including a campus police officer, were shot and killed on campus. Immediately, the horror of the 2007 Virginia Tech shooting that left 33 people dead resurfaced.

We at the Collegian would like to offer our genuine thoughts and condolences to the Virginia Tech community –– a community that has encountered fear and tragedy two too many times.

And as a fellow student newspaper, we can’t help but recognize the superb journalism displayed by Virginia Tech’s paper, the Collegiate Times.

During a time when it would have been easy to remain crippled with anxiety, the staff members of the Collegiate Times rose to the occasion.

Because of an overwhelming surge of visitors, the Collegiate Times website went down. Knowing they needed to provide live information, the staff members set up an impromptu photo blog and then directed visitors to the papers Twitter feed.

Providing detailed updates about the shootings, the Collegiate Times Twitter page garnered an additional 18,000 followers yesterday –– a number that shows the power of social media, even during times of panic.

We hope Virginia Tech remains strong during the wake of this tragedy and know that despite the heartache, they dealt with it as well as they could.